Chapter 24

A new day dawned, and it was brighter than I'd ever imagined it could be.

There was no trace of the rain that had beat down on us so mercilessly through the dark of night.

Chan and I got cleaned up, and had breakfast, and then we sat down with Namjoon as he told us what he knew.

He reassured us that Jackson had not been the one who brought Gilles de Rais back to life as a vampire.

He then told us that he was pretty certain he knew who the culprit was - that it was someone he himself knew.

But unfortunately, he didn't know where they were hiding, or why they'd done it.

"...I will never let anything like this happen ever again. But if by some unlucky change it does happen again, I am fully prepared to protect you all, no matter what the cost to me."

Namjoon's voice had remained calm as he'd told us the truth, but the usual peaceful, friendly look in his eyes was gone.

From all he's said, it's clear to me that what's going on behind the scenes here is way more complicated than I can imagine.

And I probably wouldn't understand it, even if he explained it all - not when it involves vampires who live for centuries.

But even if I don't understand the whys or hows, I believe him when he says he'll protect us.

"...Fine. For now, I will trust what you've said. But... can I ask you something?" - "What is it, Chan?"

Chan let out a long, soft sigh, and I could feel him tensing next to me, as if readying himself for something.

"I've hated you, all this time, because... I thought you brought me back to life against my will."

Namjoon inclined his head slightly, his golden eyes gleaming as he studied Chan across the table.

"But was I wrong? Was it... me myself, who stood on that wooden platform, begging to be allowed to live?"

The silence dragged out for a short eternity, and I held my breath, but at last Namjoon nodded his head, just once.

I heard Chan catch his breath, and I looked up to see him staring at Namjoon, his expression stunned.

Namjoon sighed softly, a faint frown marring his face, and then he spoke again.

"As the flames consumed you that day, you were screaming desperately. I heard your voice clearly. 'Why should I have to die here? Be you God or Satan, I care not - someone, save me! Let me live'! And then you passed out."

When he told me about that day, he said that the monster inside his heart screamed those words in rage.

But they were his words all along. Despite what he tried to tell himself... deep in his heart, he wanted to live.

No matter how desperately he tried to stop himself from wanting it... he still wanted to live.

"And I asked you... 'are you willing to be reborn, even if it means becoming a vampire'? And... you nodded." - "Why... why did you keep the truth a secret, all this time?!"

Chan's expression twisted, something burning hot and angry in his gaze as he glared at Namjoon.

"Because I didn't mind if you hated me." - "...What?" - "I may have brought you back to life, but... in all your time here, your gaze was that of a dead man walking. No matter what happened to you, or what you did, that never changed. The only time I ever saw any emotion in you at all was when you directed your hatred at me." - "Are you saying you deliberately chose to let me hate you, just for that?" - "I... I felt that being hated by you was preferable to all of your emotions being dead and gone forever." - "Why... why would you go that far for me? I don't understand." - "Because I'm the one who brought you back to life in this time. And because... you are a very dear member of my family."