Chapter 7

Chan and I sat in a sea of pure white lilies, and as they swayed gently in the breeze, he turned to me with a curious expression.

But when he asked me why I always said 'see you tomorrow', it took me a while to figure out how to explain.

"Smiling like that... that's also very... you." - "That's the second time you've said that tonight. What sort of image do you have of me, anyway?" - "You're oblivious to danger, yet you're recklessly strong, recklessly energetic, recklessly cheerful, recklessly-..." - "That's waaaay too many 'recklessly's'!" - "Heh-..."

Wait, was that-...

"Did you just laugh?" - "No."

Hey, he can't fool me! I know what I heard!

"You did, too! You laughed! Stop trying to hide your-... waah!"

I leaned eagerly towards him, wanting to see that smile, and instead I lost my balance, catching my hands against his chest.

"Oops! Sorry!"

I bit my lips, suddenly afraid I was being too pushy and annoying him again.

But when I dared to look up at him, his expression was so gentle that for a moment I forgot to breathe.

"I was right. You're recklessly energetic."

He is so, so beautiful, and I've never seen such a gentle look on his face before, and... ahh, I have no idea how to react!

"Maybe, but it's my only redeeming feature!" - "...I think you have plenty of other good features."

Oh, Chan... I...

"...The wind is picking up. We should head back." - "Right. Sure!"

----------

"Well... thank you for granting my wish, Chan." - "You're welcome." - "I had a great time, you know. Anyway... see you tomorrow!" - "...you." - "What?" - "...See you."

His voice was curt, and then he turned and strode away, walking even faster than usual.

"I know what I heard this time, too."

Suddenly, I was smiling brightly, and I put a hand up to my lips to cover it, just in case he looked back.

I feel like I learned so much about him today.

He was a man who took my wishes seriously, and cared about whether I would like the way in which he granted them.

He was a man who took the time to consider the meaning of even the most casual words I spoke to him.

And... he was a man with a gentle smile, whose soft laughter was like music to my ears.

And ever time I learn something new about him, I can't wait to learn more. Why am I so greedy when it comes to him?

----------

Chan parted ways with (Y/n) and moved through dark hallways like he was a part of the darkness himself.

Suddenly, he caught sight of his reflection in one of the windows, and stopped, pressing his hand to his mouth.

His reflection wore an expression he didn't recognise - an expression he didn't understand.

His eyes widened slowly as he stared at himself, and then he quickly looked away.

"...I'm not myself when I'm with her."

He knew that he should keep his distance from anything that threatened to disrupt his stability.

He knew that, and yet he couldn't deny the fact that he didn't want to keep his distance. Not from (Y/n).