Chapter 23

Chan startled a little at Gilles' words, his gaze dropping away for a moment, but he said nothing in response.

"Haha! See, you can't deny it, can you? And besides, someone who thought nothing of the lives of others would never have prayed for their souls after battle."

Gilles' gaze turned distant, his smile still gentle as he began to talk of a time long past.

----------

"...It's finally dawn. That was another tough battle, wasn't it? We lost a lot of allies, too... Chan? What are you doing?" - "Their eyes were still open. If I don't close them, they may not be able to find their way to the afterlife." - "Those are enemy soldiers!" - "They were our enemy when they were alive. Now that they're dead, they're just people. They're people just like us. And every life has the same value, non?" - "Chan..." - "Rest in peace. and wherever your soul goes from here, I pray that you find peace there, too. What's wrong, Gilles? I wasn't expecting you to pray, too." - "Well... I guess you inspired me!" - "Gilles-..." - "What's with that look?" - "Stop already. It feels wrong when you do it. They'll never rest peacefully with someone like you praying for them." - "Hey! What's that supposed to mean?" - "Hahaha..." - "Geez, you." - "Hey, Gilles?" - "What?" - "I can't stop thinking about what we'll find, at the end of this non-stop fighting." - "What do you hope we'll find?" - "Well... I hope we'll find a peaceful world, where people's lives aren't thrown away at the whims of others. Where they all have value." - "...Then we'll definitely find that, one day. If you keep wishing for something, it always comes true!" - "You'r optimism knows no bounds." - "Haha! And I'm just fine with that! Hey, you know what? I'm kind of hungry." - "That's all you ever think about." - "The fundamental needs of every human are eating, sleeping and playing. Come on, let's get back to camp." - "...Okay." - "Ahh, that sunrise is so bright it burns!"

----------

Chan spent all his time focused on a peaceful world, where people's lives mattered. That's all he's ever wanted.

The wish was as earnest and beautiful as Chan himself was, and I swallowed hard, my eyes burning with sudden tears.

"Don't you see, Chan? You need to stop blaming yourself."

Gilles reached out, dragging his blood-soaked finger through the dirt as he drew a clear line between himself and Chan.

"We're not the same. I fell into darkness and sin and became a murderer. You are a soldier who fought with hope and honour. We're not the same!" - "Aren't we? To me, you were... the Gilles I knew was a beautiful, honourable soldier. I know how honourable you are. I knew better than-..."

Chan's voice cracked with emotion, and Gilles laughed softly, a gentle, joyful sound that was enough to silence Chan.

"...Ugh... I think I'm out of time..." - "Gilles..."

Gilles pushed himself free from Chan's arms with a strength I hadn't expected him to possess, and turned towards the ocean.

He swayed only once, and his legs were steady as he stepped forwards.

He seemed oblivious to the sword that still pierced his body as he stopped and looked back at us with a serene smile.

"I don't know when I'll lose myself again, so it's time for this monster to say his farewells. Chan, I know this is precious to you, so I'll return it first.

Gilles... can't be serious...

I watched in horror as Gilles wrapped his hands calmly around the hilt of the sword embedded in his heart.

In one smooth movement, he pulled it free.

My heartbeat roared in my ears, and yet I felt cold, frozen to the spot by the sight before me.