Chapter 37|Radios and screens

»See, it's not that bad.« Hongjoong said, who had made himself comfortable on a wooden box and was leaning against a concrete pillar. After a twenty-minute walk, the group found a construction site. It gave the boys plenty of space and there was even a train wagon that looked less worn than the ones in the station. Boxes were stacked under the ceiling and there was all sorts of odds and ends, some of which the boys didn't even know what it was.

»It's okay.« Seonghwa admitted reluctantly, even if he wasn't satisfied for a long time. He'd rather have a decent bed than a bench seat on a train, but they didn't have anything better, so he didn't complain further. San and Yeosang rummaged in one of the wooden boxes together and Jongho joined them.

»What's in there?"«he asked curiously and San looked up.

»Mostly tools.« He took a few things out of the box and showed them to the younger one.

»Wrench, hammer, spatula. Typical handicraft tools.«

»Do you have anything useful for us?« Hongjoong asked, and Yunho spoke up.

»I found a radio.« he said, turning the dial on the radio but doing nothing.

"But I think it's broken.«

»I think the reception sucks down here.« Jongho interjected and Yunho nodded.

»That could be the case.« He continued to fiddle with the radio, hoping to get some kind of signal.

»What are we going to do about something to eat? We only have one pack of waffles left and we can't live on waffles alone either.« remarked the eldest and Hongjoong frowned in confusion.

»The chocolate bars are gone too?« he asked and Jongho looked up in shock.

»What?!« Seonghwa nodded.

»Not one left.« he said, and Jongho wailed.

»And what do I eat now?«

»We'll find something.« Hongjoong said and got up.

»Who feels the most physically fit?« he asked, and after letting out a sight San, Yeosang, Yunho, and Seonghwa raised their arms.

»Understood. We'll go up the street and look for a grocery store or something.« The four boys nodded and Hongjoong turned to the rest. Wooyoung was sitting on the floor against a box, boredly playing with a gas lighter. He opened it, lit it and then closed it again. He repeated this over and over again and had been doing it for ten minutes. Hongjoong spoke to him and Jongho and the black-haired looked up.

»You two stay here and keep picking your way through the boxes.« Wooyoung made a shocked face.

»You leave us alone?« he asked and San smiled and went over to him.

»We won't be gone too long.« Hongjoong reassured him. San gently ran his fingers through the younger boy's hair and massaged his neck, causing Wooyoung to relax a bit.

»We found walkie-talkies, we'll take some with us, okay. Then we can keep in touch.« San handed Wooyoung a walkie-talkie, and he hesitantly picked it up, pouting.

»Bet they won't work.« San chuckled.

»I'm on channel three.« He ruffled Wooyoung's hair one last time and then walked over to Seonghwa and Yunho, who were already standing there ready to go, only waiting for Hongjoong and Yeosang.

»You're fine here, aren't you?« Yeosang asked the youngest of the group, who just nodded.

»It will be okay. Bring us something tasty.« Hongjoong grabbed Yeosang's wrist and they went to the others.