23 Final

They got to Winter's home. It was a small studio on the 12th floor in an apartment complex.

"Wow, you live alone now." Karina curiously observed the interior.

Winter was already starting to second-guess her decision. "I'm off to study now. Under no circumstances, don't make yourself at home and don't even dare to go through my things and touch anything. I'll notice it."

All the things in her apartment were neatly organized, and she remembered the placement of everything. Every change wouldn't go unnoticed. And if there would be a change, she would kick Karina out into the street.

"Okay." Karina nodded obediently. She went to the window, taking a look outside, then yawned. "Can I use your bed while you're away?" She almost sat on the bed, but Winter was quick to grab her hand and pull her forward. That move caused their bodies to collide together. Too close. Winter looked away.

"No."

"Don't tell me I'll sleep on the floor because—"

"You can sleep on the bed, but not in your germ-covered outerwear." Winter went to her closet and pulled out her old pajama set. "First, take a shower and change your clothes."

After that, Winter hurried off to the university.

--

When Winter returned home, Karina was nowhere to be seen. She would have assumed she had decided to stay in some expensive hotel if her shoes and outerwear weren't still here.

Glancing around the apartment, she saw the door to the bathroom shut when she usually left it slightly ajar. So Karina is in the bathroom... but why is it so quiet? And it's been hours. Why is she still in there?

Taking a hold of the door knob, Winter cautiously opened the door. Seeing Karina naked again wasn't on her list. But what she saw was much worse. Heart stopped beating. And she froze, not knowing what to do.

Karina... lay in the bathtub, eyes closed, body motionless. From there Winter couldn't see if she was breathing. The bathtub's water was a deep shade of red.

Finally, Winter managed to overcome the stupor that gripped her body, and rushed over to Karina. Checking her pulse point, she let out a sigh of relief. Her hand accidentally touched the water. It was icy... so that means she'd been here for a long while. Because of the dark red water that hid her body, she couldn't see if there was any damage to it.

Wrapping both of her arms around her shoulders, Winter lifted her off the edge of the tub.

"Karina," Winter called in a worried voice.

"Karina!" she shook her by the shoulders.

"Wha—" Karina drowsily blinked her eyes. "You've ruined such a good dream of mine."

Winter immediately let go of her, and Karina, not expecting it, fell backwards and her head banged against the bathtub. There came a loud shriek. Winter didn't care.

"Can't believe it! I thought you were dead!" Winter's blood boiled with anger.

Karina gave her a puzzled look before lowering her eyes. "Ah... it must be my period," she said as if nothing had happened.

Winter's face creased. "Why are you so nasty?"

Sometimes Winter wanted Karina to be that sweet girl she pretended to be at school. But she never was. And now Winter clearly realized how much she couldn't stand her, she was just different... so much that it was hard for Winter to accept those differences. Whatever Karina did, it either irritated her or made her ashamed. If they lived together, Winter would definitely kill her.