21 Goodbye forever

Day of the two piano competition. Waiting room.

Winter kept flexing and unflexing her fingers, using a special finger strength trainer, while simultaneously hypnotizing the music sheets, as if she hadn't already ingrained every note into her brain.

That low clacking sound of the trainer was getting on my nerves, but I didn't say anything, because suddenly I was too considerate—Winter's tension was visible even to me.

I, on the other hand, felt great as I lounged on a small couch, occasionally dozing off. Waiting was the most tedious and boring part of the piano competitions. And this idleness made me think about what I was going to do right after the performance.

Get my freedom.

So far everything was according to my plan, but I couldn't shake off the feeling that my father already knew about everything. It made my heart beat faster and not in a good way. Just the thought that I wouldn't make it...

Maybe I should have thought through every part of my plan more carefully, to be one hundred percent sure of it, instead of thinking how to seduce Winter. But at this point, there was nothing I could do. Besides, how could I regret it?

I would never see her again, but the memory of what happened in church would always hold a special place in my brain storage.

"What with your hands?" Winter asked suddenly.

I didn't notice how she had set the trainer aside and was now closely observing me, or rather my hands.

I looked down as well, one arm was resting on my lap, another on the armrest. Both were trembling finely.

What the—

But I never felt nervous before the competition?

Yeah, because it's not the reason of this!

"What's wrong with them?" I asked, playing dumb, and clasped my hands together. Although I didn't know why I said that, there was no point in hiding it.

"Stretch them forward," Winter demanded. I ignored her, because I didn't like the tone of her voice.

"Karina!" she said firmly, and I knew she wouldn't give up until I do what she said.

Ughr

Exhaling demonstratively, I straightened my back and outstretched both my arms out. Shit. Much worse than I expected. They weren't just trembling slightly, they were trembling very violently, like I was an addict going through withdrawal.

"Don't tell me you're nervous—you can't be!" Winter exclaimed. "Do you have any sedatives?"

"No, and even if I had, I wouldn't take them right before the performance, they slow down all your reactions and make you dumb."

I never needed them, and it was always funny to watch other pianists swallow them like water and screw their performance anyway. Somehow I didn't find it funny anymore.

"How are you going to play then? Are you trying to ruin everything on purpose?"

Yeaahh, I made my hands tremble on purpose, Winter. At times like this, when she was extra annoying, I just wanted to shut her up... with a kiss.

Winter abruptly stood up from her seat and began rummaging through her bag. "Because of you, now I'm the one who needs sedatives." She pulled her phone out and stared silently for a moment while her leg kept bouncing. "Oh, there is a pharmacy nearby, I still have time."