19 So pleasant to sin

The cold wind blew unpleasantly in Winter's face, so she pulled the scarf higher to cover her ears and nose before quickly returning her hands to the warmth of her jacket pockets. She couldn't shake the thought off that it would've been much nicer to stay in the comfort of her house than—

Gaze shifted to the girl strolling beside her, a slight smile played on her lips the entire time. Right now, going to church with Karina was the last thing Winter wanted to do, but her sense of responsibility to her words made it impossible to do otherwise.

Besides... there were words she had to say to Karina, or rather Winter made a promise to her mom she would say them and she wasn't going to lie to her again.

Swallowing her pride, Winter awkwardly cleared her throat and quietly said, "I'm sorry."

Karina stumbled and turned to face her with raised eyebrows.

"What was that? I couldn't hear you."

Winter was sure she heard everything, but nonetheless repeated, louder this time.

"I'm sorry about what happened at the dinner."

Karina smiled but for some reason it looked more like a smirk.

"I don't think I can forgive you."

Regret churned in her stomach, after all Karina didn't deserve these words a bit.

"I don't care," Winter said dryly, kinda offended Karina didn't simply say thank you. "I just promised my mom I would say it, you can hold a grudge against me till the end of your life."

Right. It was Karina who should have apologized. Karina is to blame for everything. If she behaved like a normal person, Winter's mom wouldn't have seen her naked and she wouldn't have asked all these questions, and the dinner wouldn't have happened either.

"You're not even going to explain what it was?"

"You didn't get it?" Winter asked with irritation, she just couldn't keep her cool around Karina.

"No?"

Ughr!

"I asked you to behave properly in front of my mom, and what did you do? You flirted with her without any shame, it was just revolting!" Winter blurted out. She wasn't planning to waste her favorite orange juice on Karina, but she had no choice, Karina needed a lesson. All throughout the dinner she made her feel like a third wheel. Not even to mention that kiss beforehand. Right in front of her mom.

"Ah... you wanted me to flirt with you instead?" Karina asked playfully.

Huff automatically left Winter's mouth. "Keep dreaming." And before Karina could say anything else, changed the topic, "I'll return your blouse on Monday."

"No need, leave it as a keepsake."

Winter was about to say that she'd rather give it to the bums then, however at this moment they reached the church and Karina seized her hand.

"Yaahh!" Winter tried to wrench her hand away, but Karina intertwined their fingers and tucked it into her jacket pocket.

"Look at this crowd, what if you get lost?" Karina nodded toward the people who gathered at the entrance...

... there were just two people.

Winter only rolled her eyes, and didn't try to do anything against it, because they were already too close to the entrance and these two persons started to glance at them with interest—or perhaps just at Karina.

--

In the chapel they sat the very last pew, far away from other people.

High ceilings made Winter uncomfortable, and the medieval-looking interior with candlelight fixtures on the sides made her think a sacrifice was about to take place.