16 Unwelcomed thoughts

The alarm's piercing sound woke Winter up. Already? Winter thought, reluctantly rubbing her eyes.

Head throbbed horribly – she hadn't slept a bit. She didn't have much time to sleep anyway, because half of the night she spent studying. But even in the remaining time, her brain just couldn't shut down to get some rest. All thanks to Karina, who kept tossing and turning, talking and moaning in her sleep.

Winter didn't even want to imagine the content of her dreams.

Only as morning approached, did she briefly manage to fall asleep.

The headache and dizziness grew worse and at that moment, Winter badly wanted to throw Karina out of the window as a payback. She had no idea how she was going to function at school now, not even a barrel of coffee would help.

Letting Karina into her house was a terrible mistake. It was all the fault of her sympathetic heart. Despite Winter's best efforts to think rationally, feelings took over. And she loathed feelings.

She loathed it when a war broke out inside her. The heart was telling, what if something bad happens to her in this weather? Then it would be your fault. It's not burdensome to let her in just for one night, is it? While her brain vehemently objected, what does she matter to you? If she dies, she dies. Forget about her and go back to your studies.

Karina was disturbing her inner peace, making Winter think of her more and more. Winter didn't even notice how Karina consumed her whole mind, didn't notice how she began to care about her.

To care about her sufferings.

Winter was good at hiding it, but if given the chance she would help her. Good thing there is no such chance on the horizon, her brain commented. It doesn't matter, you can just give her your support, replied her heart tearfully.

Shut up, you both, Winter ordered. She didn't want to think about it at all. Because it always reminded her of Karina's father. Even the small glimpse of him was enough to send chills down her spine. His whole aura was frightening. And his voice was the most repulsive noise, possibly even worse than the morning alarm.

At the time, Winter was so taken aback that she didn't immediately notice the dramatic change of Karina's behavior. It was hard to believe Karina could be that way. Voice quiet and timid, fear in her eyes.

Maybe if she gave it more thought, the puzzle would come together, but on the contrary, she tried to forget that moment. As she always felt like she had witnessed something she shouldn't have.

And Winter didn't like that Karina. Even more than her usual self. Because that way she had an urge to comfort her, to hold her close like a kitten the dogs were attempting to rip apart. But she shouldn't do that under any circumstances.

It's none of my business, Winter reminded herself once again, and reached for the nightstand where she always kept her headache pills. She put it in her mouth and swallowed. Thirty minutes, and maybe she would feel like a healthy person and not a zombie.

Winter sat up in bed and her gaze fell on—

Karina!

When had she gotten so close? Because Winter had tried to place her mattress as far away as possible. Is that why it felt like her breathing was somehow too close, too loud...

Winter's face screwed up. Karina slept sloppily, as if she were a five-year-old kid. Blanket off to the side, and body stretched out like a cat, arms above her head. Winter's cheeks began to burn, it was awkward. Karina's position caused her shirt to ride up, exposing her stomach... and lower part of her breasts. Winter averted her gaze.