09 You'll see

The weather was unusually warm for late autumn, a soft breeze pleasantly caressed the skin and many students preferred the park near the school to the dining hall for lunch. Winter and Yizhuo weren't an exception. They settled on a bench in the farthest part of the park. Each of them was busy eating the food from their lunchboxes, when Yizhuo suddenly questioned.

"Is your milk sour?" Yizhuo pointed at the small box of strawberry milk in Winter's hand.

"No, why?" Winter asked in bewilderment. She took another sip to confirm her words and nodded, there was nothing wrong with the milk, or she wouldn't have drank half of it.

"It's just that your face looked like you tasted something disgusting," Yizhuo explained, still closely observing Winter's face.

It really was something disgusting, but not the taste, but rather the person she was thinking of. Karina Yu, an annoying hindrance in her way. Recently, she had started to think about her too much, which immediately spoiled her mood, and it was no surprise – as soon as Karina entered her life, it filled with negative things. Like the fact that she had lost an earring at Karina's house that was very dear to her – her father's last gift. She had never taken them off, even now when it didn't have a pair.

Moreover, Karina didn't respond to her messages or rather one single message, when she asked if Karina ever was going to come to practice. After all, she was right, she couldn't rely on Karina. Good thing that she hadn't given up studying for exams. But this competition was hanging over her like a rock. What if the teacher asks about their progress?

She should just go to the teacher's office and say she won't participate anymore. Yes, that's exactly what she's going to do.

"Something unpleasant crossed my mind," Winter reluctantly said, keeping her explanation vague for a reason.

"Really? What is it?" Curiosity seeped through Yizhuo's voice.

Winter took a deep breath, Yizhuo was a sweet person, but she had the flaw of wanting to know everything about her and failing to get the hint.

"It's nothing interesting," Winter trailed off, looking away from her friend, she was never good at lying.

And if Yizhuo sensed something, she clung to Winter's arm. "Come on, you can tell your friend—am I your friend?"

"Yeah, you are."

"Then you can tell me everything that bothers you!"

"Karina." Winter blurted out.

"Karina?" Yizhuo asked thoughtfully. "Were you upset because you can't date her?"

Winter almost choked on her milk, thanks this time she only did a small sip.

"What!?"

"Don't you like her? I mean why did you go after Karina to the showers in the middle of PE class?"

"It's not what it seems like! And Karina is the last person I would want to date—I can't stand a minute around her, she's..." Winter quickly realized what she was about to say and put her hand over her mouth.

"Ah, okay okay... but wow I never would have thought you dislike Karina that much... isn't she the nicest person in this school full of snobs? I still can't forget how last year on my first day of school she showed me around and let me sit with her during lunch aww..."

While Yizhuo was telling this, she gazed off into the distance and her eyes grew dreamy.

Winter's brow furrowed. What is this? It might have seemed that Yizhuo was in love with Karina.

"First impressions can be deceptive," Winter said acidly. "She's irresponsible, she hasn't shown up for practice in a week and hasn't even responded to my message."