06 The right moment

I followed the teacher and stopped to pick up my belongings along the way. By this time, Taemin had finished doing my homework. He's fast. However, I had to upset him by informing that "unfortunately" we wouldn't be able to meet today. I lied that the teacher needed my help, and it would take a long time. In response, Taemin simply smiled and said it was fine.

It was odd though, that he was so meek and passive, in all the two years we'd been together, we hadn't even had a single fight.

Sometimes I felt like he was hiding something from me. If I had the desire, I would find out what. But I didn't have it.

In the teachers' staffroom, I stood in the pose of an obedient student, with my hands clasped in front of me. Mrs. Kang sat in her chair and pored over some documents as if I wasn't there. Finally, she pulled out some papers and tossed them carelessly in my direction.

"Look."

I took the papers and lazily ran my eyes over them.

"What's this?" she asked, making me sigh discreetly. Did she turn blind?

Wait— my math test! Why does she have it?

"My math test," I responded nevertheless.

"What matters is not what it is, but what you got for it."

I turned the paper over and saw 0/100 written in blood-red ink. Well, it's not a surprise. Thinking about Winter, staring at her pictures that I took during the class, I completely forgot about the test and that I had to memorize answers Taemin got for me. Without them, I'll never be able to get the highest grade.

On that test, I handed in the worksheet ten minutes after the bell rang, which caused envy and amazement among my classmates. Little did they know I hadn't started any of the math problems.

"0 out of 100," I replied calmly to her stupid question.

"If I were you, I wouldn't be so calm," the teacher said venomously as if pleased by my failure. "How do you explain getting the highest score on the previous tests which are nearly identical to this one? Sudden memory loss?" She smirked.

Pathetic.

"I just... on that day..." I pondered which lie would suit better, but decided to go with the half-truth. "...my mother's condition worsened the night before the test, and I was anxious all night and couldn't sleep, so I had trouble concentrating... I'm sorry I'll try harder in the future."

I lowered my head to give the impression that it was difficult for me to talk about it. In reality, I was glad of it, my mother's illness was creating a lot of conveniences. I didn't even have to think hard about excuses. Sob story and all the teachers are at my feet.

But apparently, Mrs. Kang was an exception.

"It's certainly very touching," she said, but it didn't seem like it touched her a bit. "However, it shouldn't affect your studies, especially since you're in your final year, and to ensure it doesn't happen again I've informed your father. I hope he can give you the support you need." Mrs. Kang grinned wickedly.

The way she said it—now I had no doubt she was aware of my father's doings. Bitch.

I hid my hands behind my back, so she wouldn't see how hard I clutched at the book from the library I hadn't had time to put back, so she wouldn't see that it was affecting me.

On the outside, I managed to keep a calm expression, but inside I let my anger take over, I imagined grabbing her and strangling to death. Of course, that was unlikely, the fat folds on her nearly invisible neck shielded her perfectly.