TWENTY-SEVEN

Please Lando, pick up.

I look at the screen of my phone as I close the door to my room behind me.

He has to pick up. He will, won't he?

The ringing tone ends, a robotic voice signalling that I'm being send to his voicemail. I consider pressing his contact again. My finger lingering over his name on my screen, my mind deciding whether I should press it or not.

I'm about to press the call button again, when there's a knock on my door. I throw my phone to the side, getting up from the bed I had collapsed on and walking to the door.

"Are you okay?" Martin asks, an apologetic look on his face.

"Not really." I admit letting him into the room.

"You want to talk about it?"

"Not really," a small smile forming on my face. We take a seat on my bed together, Martin opening his arms for me to cry in. And I do just that. 

I keep crying until I've got no more tears to shed. I don't even know how long we've sat here, I do know our moment is interrupted when Martin's phone starts ringing. 

"I'm with her." Martin says into the phone, making me aware that who ever is calling him is asking for me. 

"She called you?" Martin asks matter of factly, and is then that I know he's actually talking to Lando. It's the only person I've tried to call today. "Here, I'll give my phone to her." Martin holds his phone out for me to take, and I do just that. 

I take his phone in my hand, putting it to my ear. 

"Hi?" I croak into the electronic device. 

"Are you alright? You sound like you've been crying." Lando's voice sounds through the phone, caring as always. 

"I- I don't want to talk about it." I whisper, because when I try to use my normal voice I'll probably end up crying. 

"Can you talk to someone about it?"

"I don't want to Lan. The only person I want to talk to about this all is you, but I know I can't." I admit, and I catch Martin looking at me questioningly. He then puts two and two together and leaves the room, taking my spare key with him. I'm guessing he'll wait outside, as I'm using his phone. 

"Aimee, you had promised." He sounds broken. "You had promised you would keep talking, you would not lock people out. Your health comes first, and talking about what is bugging you is an important part of that." 

I can feel tears pricking in my eyes, as I know he's right. I shouldn't be shutting down. "It's the fucking media again." I am slightly sobbing at this point, and I just hope that he can hear what I just said. "They're saying me and Martin are dating, but we're not. We're just friends. I need you to know that. We're not together." I feel the need to emphasise the last part, he needs to know he's not been replaced. 

"I know, I believe you." He says softly. "If I didn't have a race tomorrow, I'd come over." 

"Lan, you can't do that. We're not together anymore." 

"But what if I want to? What if I want to be there? For my friend." Great I'm friend zoned, again. Well technically it was me the first time, but who cares? I stay silent, not knowing how to respond to his words. "Do you still want to go on vacation together?" He asks breaking the silence we had both lapsed into. 

We had planned for us to stay in England after the Belgian GP, for my concert and also for him to do some Quadrant stuff. And then we would spend almost two weeks in Greece, with me doing one performance there. Before I'd have to go to Belgium for the penultimate stop of the tour, with Zandvoort and my final show weekend the weekend after that. We were supposed to be joined by Martin, Max and Kelly, Ellis, Evi and Charles in Greece.