Peggy Carter

~~~Catherine's pov~~~

The following day, Steve went to London for Peggy's funeral.

I didn't really know her that well, but Dad always told me stories. Stories of a Russian operative named 'Dottie Underwood' and flying cars. Of the SSR and the eventual founding of Shield. She was a pretty amazing woman. Grandpa was lucky to have known her so well. The two of them were great friends.

I went to see him with Nat after the service was over.

We walked in to see him standing at the front of the church.

"When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone. Then I found out she was alive. I was just lucky to have her."

"She had you back, too." Nat gave him a small hug.

The two of them are just too cute together!

"Who else signed?" He asked, changing the subject.

"Tony, Rhodey, Vision." She listed while I stayed silent. I still can't believe he signed.

"Clint?"

"Says he's still retired."

"Wanda and Pietro?"

"TBD. But I'm sure when one makes a decision, the other twin will follow." I answered.

"I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There's plenty of room on the jet." She was silently begging for him to join her. "Just because it's the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together." There was a double meaning to her last sentence.

"What are we giving up to do it? I'm sorry, Nat. I can't sign it."

She looked at me hopefully.

I shook my head. "I can't sign either. Tell my dad I'm sorry we didn't see eye-to-eye on this."

She nodded sadly. "Steve, I want you to remember that even though we're on opposite sides of this, it doesn't change anything. And, Cat, I hope your dad thinks the same."

With that, she left.

"So, you're not signing either?" He turned to me.

"No. With my abilities, I think it would be safer not to be under government control."

"Smart." He nodded. "Is anyone else on our side?"

"Yeah. Sam, the twins are leaning toward it, and Loki."

"See, that I'm not surprised with."

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing." He shrugged and started to walk away toward the church doors.

"Rogers!" I chased after him.

~

After I caught up with Steve, we went to a pizzeria a few blocks away for some food.

"Okay, Rogers," I stared him down after finishing the pizza. "What did you mean before when you said you weren't surprised?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." He waved me off.

"If you don't answer, I'll hack into the government archives, find your 'Star Spangled Man With a Plan' video and release it to the internet." I threatened.

His head shot up, and he glared at me. "How could you possibly know about that?"

"I am a Stark, you know. My grandfather told my dad a lot of stuff." I smirked.

"You wouldn't dare."

"Did you just say dare?" I got out my phone and started typing.

"Catherine, don't do it. We can talk this out. I'm-"

Then my phone started ringing. It was Sam.

I groaned and picked up. "What the hell, Sam? I was this close to getting Steve to tell me everything. This close!"

"Steve's with you? Great. Guys, you need to turn on the news. Now."

"Okay?" Now I was confused.

He was on speaker, so Steve heard this as well.

We both turned to a TV behind us in the pizza place.

What I saw left me speechless.

Someone had bombed the UN.

The Winter Soldier.