CHAPTER ELEVEN

"That's outrageous!" Badgertuft snarled when Rockstar announced the news of the Gathering. Rockstar silenced him with the flick of his tail. "Creekstar has made it apparent that she's willing to  start a war over this simple mistake." He called out. "That crazy old queen has lost her mind, she was deputy when I was apprenticed." Loudbird snickered, casting a teasing look at his paws.

"Although the war may be far off," Rockstar turned his gaze to Larchgaze, who nodded her approval, "I wish to start immediate battle training. Fallenkit, Haykit, and Frostkit, please come forward." Beepaw felt Scorchpaw stiffen beside him.

"There is no time for a formal ceremony, but that doesn't mean you are any less valued in TrailClan." He swept his eyes over the warriors and blinked hard.
"Foxsky, you will take Frostpaw, Spiderdrift, you'll take Fallenpaw, and I will be training Haypaw." The Clans cheers were short and Beepaw understood why.

"Now eat and get some rest, all of us will be training tomorrow," the gathered cats nodded, the older warriors discussing battle plans as they picked mice from their piles.
Beepaw heard his father call Loudbird before Haypaw knocked him to the ground. "Come on, eat up!" She chirped, her fluffy pelt standing.

"All of us together again!" She cheered, pulling Beepaw by his whiskers to their little apprentice group.
Cherrypaw and Birchpaw huddled close, sharing a vole. "You had to wait a moon to train." Haypaw teased, tossing a fat squirrel at him.
She hurried over to his side and bit into his squirrel.
Beepaw snorted playfully then settled in beside her and helped her finish the prey.

"You're only a 'paw because AlpClan threatened us." Beepaw told her quickly, casting a small glance at Cherrypaw, hoping she hadn't heard him. Luckily for him, she hadn't heard him. Cherrypaw was mumbling to Birchpaw, their voices quiet purrs.

Once Beepaw had finished his part of the squirrel and huddled into the apprentice's den, he rested in his nest and closed his eyes, letting sleep crowd him until he gave in.

Beepaw dodged Cherrypaw's attack quickly and rolled over, darting under her paws, making her slip off balance. She yelped as she toppled over on her side. Beepaw stood up triumphantly. He glanced at Nightfur, who nodded.

"Good," he said briskly, then turned to Cherrypaw, "you're the one who provoked Creekstar, you need to get better." Cherrypaw flinched as he spat at her. Beepaw felt Fallenpaw tense beside him as he watched. It wasn't her fault! He wished to say, but he knew better than to spill his thoughts to Nightfur. "Leave her alone you cranky badger," Bumblenose scoffed, "maybe she would be doing better if you trained her properly instead of pinning her on the camp tasks." Beepaw blinked hard, he hadn't expected Bumblenose to address him like that.
Nightfur scowled and turned back to Cherrypaw. "Go train with Haypaw." He growled before leaving the hollow, flicking his tail angrily.

"Nightfur," Rockstar mumbled as he watched his old mentor stomp back to camp. He turned to Cherrypaw and his gaze softened. "Haypaw, show her what moves you're working on, I'll go talk to him."

Rockstar followed Nightfur's trail, and Haypaw glanced at Cherrypaw. "Beepaw." Beepaw flinched as Eaglehare mewed at him. He turned and faced her. "Yes?" He answered.

"Come and practice your moves with Scorchpaw." She purred. Beepaw peered around her and saw Scorchpaw standing straight, his fur prickling with anticipation. "Sure." Beepaw nodded, padding over. Before he was a tail length, Scorchpaw tackled him, Beepaw hit the ground with a thud.

"Ow! Can't you wait just a bit?" Beepaw complained, standing. "There's no wait a bit in battle!" Scorchpaw purred, batting him with his tail.
We'll see about that! Beepaw thought boldly, he shifted subtly to make room for a pounce. "You've had more training than me! And I've still beaten you more times than you've blinked!" Scorchpaw boasted loudly. Beepaw rolled his eyes at his overly exaggerated count and sprang, kicking out hard on his hind legs.

Scorchpaw screeched as Beepaw landed on top of his back. He dug in with his toes, gripping his with the same strength as if he were using his claws. Scorchpaw struggled underneath him, Beepaw then shifted all of his weight to the left, tipping Scorchpaw and sending him toppling onto the ground.
"Great StarClan!" Scorchpaw exclaimed, shaking out his prickling fur. "I was not expecting that!" Beepaw sat up proudly, licking his pads, which were sore from clutching onto Scorchpaw so tightly. "Maybe you would've seen him coming if you weren't so busy gloating." Birchpaw snickered. "That's true." Eaglehare added, her voice was soft with amusement.

"How did you hold on?" Scorchpaw mumbled, turning his head, Beepaw guessed he was searching his pelt for little claw marks. "I used my toes," he demonstrated, showing the group his pads and kneading the air. "It's kind of my special move, of course I've never used it with my claws before." Beepaw glanced at Bumblenose, who was purring.

"I think we've trained enough for today," She mewed to the group. "I heard Fawngleam and Sneezeblaze were hunting, and greenleaf is almost here, fatter prey!" Haypaw gasped, racing off to the camp. "You've never seen a greenleaf!" Birchpaw chased after her, followed by Birdstem.

Beepaw twitched his whiskers as he followed closely behind. "It won't be another moon before greenleaf is here." Spiderdrift mumbled as he left Fallenpaw's side and padded next to Bumblenose. The two littermates huddled close as they began a long conversation.
Up ahead, Birdstem and Birchpaw paused. "What's wrong?" Heatherwish asked, padding up to them and sniffing the ground, he froze too.

"AlpClan!" He gasped, Beepaw's fur stood as he watched Bumblenose tear away from her brother and hurried over to inspect the scent. Beepaw inched closer. The scent was fresh, Beepaw fought to not gag.  Not only were they inside the border at this moment, but they've set a marker well inside!

Bumblenose let out a screech of anger and followed the trails of the marker. "There are at least six cats. I smell Spotteddawn!" She growled. Beepaw sniffed, and now that she had pointed it out, he thought he could smell Tinypaw. "They've spread out!" Spiderdrift gasped, turning and joining his sister in following the trails.

Birchpaw helped, his ears pricked. Beepaw watched as the rest of the warriors followed their own trail. "Invasion?" Haypaw's eyes widened as the warriors sniffed around.
"Let's get you back to camp, you're too young if it comes to a fight." Birdstem mewed, ushering Haypaw, Frostpaw, and Fallenpaw back to the sheltered hollow.

"But I can!" Haypaw pleaded. "You could, but it isn't safe." Beepaw heard Birdstem reply as they disappeared from his view. "Come out flea-bags!" Scorchpaw hissed into the bushes. There was a long moment of silence then a rustle in the bushes. "As you wish, little tom." Snarled a voice, and a black tom stepped out.