CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

"From this day forward, you shall be known as Rainfallwhisker and Aldertail!" Warming ending leafbare air seeped through Beefrost's pelt as the Clan cheered the names of the new warriors, though he couldn't bring himself to join. Fallenpaw should be here... She hadn't even been to a Gathering yet. He noticed Scorchtail beaming proudly at Aldertail, he wasn't sure if his friend was proud of his former apprentice, or of himself for making her a good warrior.

The bad freeze had left them all starving, and now, a moon away from newleaf, they had just begun to return to normal. The freeze had killed Talonwater, Badgertuft, and Whiskerstreak, and TrailClan mourned them greatly. A big personal loss to Beefrost was the death of Loudbird. He hadn't had time to talk to the elder as much after becoming an apprentice, but the cheerful tom had always been a face he wanted to see.

Bumblestar leaped down from the Calling Branch and touched noses with her kits, which were nearly as big as she was. Rainfallwhisker purred and shared a glance with his sister. They spoke for a bit, but it was too quiet to hear.

"How's it feel to be free?" He heard Scorchtail mew to Maelstrom, who gave a snort of amusement. "I'm glad to be free of the cold!" He responded.

I bet you're proud of your littermates? Beefrost asked Fallenpaw silently, watching as they settled in place for their vigil. Haypetal emerged from the warriors' den and hurried over to Scorchtail and Maelstrom, who happily included her in their conversation. Frostbite and Palepaw were congratulating the new warriors, bringing prey to get them ready for their vigils.

There was a happy mew from Maelstrom, but Beefrost didn't acknowledge it. Stepping out from camp, he followed a trail in pursuit of a rabbit, the hunt had given him a sense of liveness he hadn't felt in a while, his paws glided across the moorland grass as he raced towards the rabbit, who dashed away, but it was too late, the rabbit gave a vicious kick as he caught it, and it fell still as he gave the killing bite.

"Nice catch!" Beefrost turned, seeing Maelstrom slip out from behind the fronds. He dipped his head in gratitude as his friend began sniffing at the rabbit. A sudden jolt of guilt knocked him off balance, he had been so mean to this cat recently, the cat the StarClan willed to be his friend.

"Thanks!" Beefrost managed through the fur of the rabbit, he was hoping to talk a bit, but Maelstrom hurried across the moor like he had a place to be. Back in camp, Beefrost was aware of the sun setting, Rainfallwhisker and Aldertail finished their meals and sat up straight at the edge of the clearing.  Dropping his rabbit on the fresh-kill pile, he glanced over towards Scorchtail and Haypetal.

"Hey Beefrost!" Scorchtail mewed, sounding excited, but Haypetal slapped him over the mouth with her tail and silenced him with a stern look. Beefrost felt unease rippling inside of him. First Frostbite, and now Scorchtail? He thought bitterly. What is she telling them that I can't know? Tail twitching, he settled back in the warriors' den, aware of Fawngleam and Riversky making new nests.

Beefrost curled up in his nest and closed his eyes.

"This is your new den!" Woken by Scorchtail's enthusiastic mewing, Beefrost blinked open his eyes to see Rainfallwhisker and Aldertail blinking anxiously. "It's so much bigger than the apprentices' den!" Aldertail whispered, her eyes locked with Beefrost's but only for a second, she turned away. "Perhaps you could show them quieter." Beefrost mewed, sitting up and giving a big stretch.

"Yes!" Beefrost heard Eaglehare hiss with exasperation as he left, basking in the light outside the entrance of the den. Near the elders' den, he spotted Nightfur and Amberfish sharing tongues while they sunned themselves on some stones, their tails tied.

"That's great news!" His attention turned to the kindle, where Cherryheart purred at Haypetal. Intrigue pricked at Beefrost, creeping closer, he saw Cherryheart's limp leg dragging on the ground as she led the golden tabby inside.  "We should get your nest done right away!"