CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

A half moon had passed since the fight that had killed Fallenpaw, and the paste of herbs on Beefrost's wounds had begun to flake off. Chilly wind crept inside of the tightly woven branches of the warriors' den. Greenleaf will be over soon. He thought, blinking sleep from his eye.

Beefrost stepped out of the warriors den and into the clearing, where Haypaw and Frostpaw crouched in the shade, the two young cats shivered with emotion. Larchgaze huddled beside them, licking their heads softly, cooing at them with soft words. She had been given the name Fallendust to take to StarClan, but Beefrost believed it only made the pain worse for her family. Haypaw most of all.

"I've never seen Haypaw so upset." Beefrost flinched as Scorchtail's mew sounded behind him. Scorchtail's green eyes glittered with pity. "Fallendust didn't deserve to die in that battle." Beefrost said lowly, watching as Cherryheart limped from the medic den.

Her eyes locked with Beefrost's and in an instant, he knew what she was thinking. I know, he blinked slowly at her. It hurts to think about it... Cherryheart limped over to Larchgaze, the two queens spoke quietly for a moment before a quiet groan erupted from the kindle. "Bumblenose's kitting!" Grasstail called, sprinting to Amberfish's den, where the healer stood ridged by shock for only a moment before rushing into action, and for the first time, Beefrost noticed the medic's graying muzzle.

Waspwhisper followed closely behind, a mound of herbs tucked in her jaws. The camp, once grieving, stood up, eager to see what was happening. "Don't disturb her." Hazelclaw meowed, knowing what it was like to have kits of her own.

"This is a poor time to introduce new life." Rockstar's voice sounded from his ledge, his eyes dark with worry. "They'll be three moons old by leafbare." Nightfur said, blinking at his former apprentice with soft eyes. "They'll have their coats developed by then."

Rockstar stared at Nightfur with a grateful blink as Bumblenose let out a long wail. "The Gathering is tonight." Whiskerstreak blinked at Rockstar, who straightened up with authority. "I'll stay here with Bumblenose, Nightfur, you act as leader." He meowed decisively, padding over to the kindle where Bumblenose groaned.
Nightfur blinked at the assembled warriors. "Scorchtail, Beefrost, Bramblelight, Daisyblaze, Birdstem, Heatherwish, Eaglehare, Fawngleam, Tangletuft, and Loudbird and Sneezeblaze and Badgertuft." He blinked as each warrior he called lined up in front of him. "Birdstem, you will act as deputy." Birdstem dipped her head and stood up tall. Beefrost caught Maelstroms wistful eyes and blinked slowly. You'll go soon.

"Off we go." Nightfur meowed, nudging Loudbird as the patrol began to move. "Congratulations, Rockstar." Nightfur brushed his tail along his old apprentice's back.

Beefrost padded beside Scorchtail as they left the safety of the camp. Scorchtail's fur bristed with anticipation. "What will Creekstar say?" He murmured in Beefrost's ear. "Whatever it is, it better be good."

TrailClan was the last Clan to arrive, Beefrost was met with sneering AlpClan faces, it was nearly enough to make him break the full moon truce, but he knew better than that.

Nightfur, in the distance, greeted some elders at the far end of the clearing before padding up to the center with the other leaders. "Hey!" Beefrost flinched as Scorchtail bumped his shoulder with his tabby flank. Looking up, he saw the golden tom, Fallowpaw, now with a young gray tabby beside him.

"Fallowpaw!" Scorchtail called out, Beefrost saw the golden cat lift his head with a purr. "It's me! Scorchpaw, and Beepaw!" Beefrost felt his whiskers twitch as Scorchtail addressed himself as his apprentice name. "We're Scorchtail and Beefrost now."

"Hey there! It's Fallowpond now!" Fallowpond mewed cheerily, padding over, that young queen beside him flinched. "Long time no see!" Scorchtail purred, then glanced over at the small gray queen. "This must be your apprentice?" He asked, and a purr rumbled deep in Fallowpond's throat.