CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

A cold leaf-fall breeze shook him awake, the memory of his dream stuck with him, the freeze of ice under his paws made him tremble. He was aware of Haypetal's empty nest beside him, and Scorchtail huddled close with Birchclaw, sheltering each other from the cold.

The sun was beginning to rise, and Birdstem was assigning cats to the dawn patrols. Leaving the den, he spotted Haypetal beside Frostbite, and Heatherwish, clearly waiting for patrol.

Amberfish emerged from the medics den, Beefrost noticed she must be really stiff, she wheezed with every step, and her movements were slow. Bumblenose, Bumblestar now, was sitting on her ledge, watching the Clan. Her eyes were narrowed to slits as she opened her mouth.

"TrailClan!" She yowled, and Beefrost heard rustling from behind him. "Quit stalking." Daisyblaze told him cheerfully as she passed him and sat in the clearing. Beefrost flicked her with his tail before following her.

"We have news!" Bumblestar began, her eyes fixed on Amberfish and Nightfur. The two cats were standing side by side, their tails curled together. "These two cats have served their Clan for countless moons." Bumblestar mewed, and murmurs of shock rippled through the assembled cats. "It is time they retired from their warrior and medic duties, and joined our elders."

"Amberfish! Nightfur!" The clearing erupted into cheer, the most respected cats in the Clan have definitely earned their place in retirement.

"Congratulations, brother!" Loudbird purred, sounding much older than Beeforst remembered. "There is more news. Although this cat does not share a Clan name, he will still be welcomed as a full warrior!" She turned to Maelstrom.

"Maelstrom! Maelstrom!"

"I will be taking a patrol to the camps of the other Clans," Bumblestar continued, flicking her tail to Maelstrom. "You and Beefrost will accompany me."

Beefrost flinched as Maelstroms eyes fixed on him, the white tom padded towards him. "Have you been having dreams lately?" He whispered hastily. But before Beefrost could answer, he turned away and faced Bumblestar, who was leaping from her ledge. If you'd let me answer you... He grumbled inwardly, facing his former mentor.
"We will start with AlpClan." Bumblestar mewed. "Go eat something before we go."

Maelstrom turned to Beefrost and hurried to the fresh-kill pile, picking a rabbit. Returning, he dropped it at Beefrost's paws.

The two of them crouched down and began taking quick bites. "Yes, I have had more dreams." Beefrost answered, and was unsettled by the dread in Maelstrom's eyes. "They're concerning now, yes?" He asked, his odd eyes wide with horror. What has he seen?

"I was you, and I was in water, holding a cat beneath the surface!" He closed his eyes tight and pushed the rabbit away, as if the story had driven away his appetite.
Memories flashed through Beefrost's mind, he remembered the dream, it came to him right before becoming a warrior. Taking another bite, he nodded. "You wouldn't kill any cat, would you?" Maelstrom whispered, making Beefrost bristle. "Of course not, hare-brain!" He snapped. Why would he even think that? He stood, stretching as Bumblestar approached them. "It's time to go." She mewed, flicking her tail, Beefrost could smell the blood of a mouse in her breath.

"We won't be going into AlpClan camp? Will we?" Maelstrom fretted, annoyance clawed at Beefrost's whiskers. What in the name of StarClan made this tom so jumpy? He huffed, remembering the brave cat he had seen in his dreams. "No." Bumblestar mewed, her eyes darkening. "We will wait for a border patrol. They can take the news to Creekstar." She answered coldly.

Beefrost padded alongside Maelstrom, he could sense his shivering. It was cold, leaf-fall, the shedding trees waved sadly over the camp as they departed. A cat with such a thin coat would have some trouble in the mountains. I wonder if it's snowing already in AlpClan.