Epilogue

The sound of rushing water broke the silence. Beefrost blinked open his eyes, the pressure on his lungs was gone, he could breathe again. But he wasn't in TrailClan. Around him were trees, leafless trees, although some did have leaves.

Beefrost knew something was watching him, his pelt prickled as he padded between the dark trees on a path that seemed to be made for him. Then, before him, a russet red cat stepped out from the charred looking bracken. Beefrost knew this tom. The red toms eyes were wide with sympathy.

"Ravenfang tried to warn you." The russet tom muttered, his yellow and blue eyes betrayed nothing but pity. Beefrost straightened, annoyance prickled in his claws as he remembered the black cat's words. "A name would be nice, Foxheart." He told him, watching as his expression hardened into frustration. "So I'm in StarClan now?"

Looking around, Beefrost saw darkness in every direction, and when he looked up, there were no stars in the sky. "I didn't imagine StarClan to look like this."

"Because this isn't StarClan." Foxheart said blunty, flicking his tail leading him through the fronds that bordered the path. "What do you mean?" Beefrost gasped. Suddenly, Foxheart bristled, his ears were pinned to his head. "Do you think I went to StarClan after poisoning kits?" But he never turned to face Beefrost.

Those red berries are poisonous? Beefrost thought hard and cringed at the choking that came from Sedgekit. "No one here belongs to StarClan." Then with a sag of his shoulders, he added, "and although I really want a second chance, I'm not getting out of this place."

More walking, and soon, they came out of the bushes and into a makeshift camp, stinking of Foxheart. "I live beside the path to help guide any cats like me. Sometimes I get lucky, I found you this time." Foxheart purred but it was cut off as he turned to his nest. "Most of the time, however, cats are thrilled to be here."

Beefrost curled his lip as though he had smelled something horrid. "Cats want to stay here?" Foxheart nodded and swept the nest into a hole beneath the tree's roots. "We have leaders, they love it here, they embrace darkness."

Leaders? Beefrost wondered, and it was as if Foxheart read his mind. "Daylily of RiftClan, Pawfrost of FeralClan, Witherstar of MeadowClan, Robinstar of NetherClan, Brackenclaw of SkyClan." He went on and bowed his head to speak his next words, keeping his voice low as if whoever he would say next would hear him. "Hollowclaw of MossClan."

Beefrost could tell these were fearsome cats by the way Foxheart shuddered, but Beefrost had never heard of any of them. "They won't hesitate to pull you apart for fun."

"This is the Dark Forest." He murmured, making Foxheart snort. "Took you long enough." He murmured, then after a long pause, he flicked his ears, a signal to follow.  Beefrost watched as his red fur disappeared beneath the bushes, and he had no choice but to follow.

They walked for what seemed like forever, the ground dipped into a tunnel, and beyond the tunnel, dazzling lights flashed beautifully on the other side. "What is this?" Beefrost gasped, Foxheart was willingly going into the blinding light. "StarClan." He mewed.

"Be quiet though, we aren't allowed up here."

It's so close, I could probably set my paws on the soft grass of the hunting grounds. A sudden jolt of regret pierced him. He would never be welcomed there, not after what he did. I will never belong anywhere but here. Despite the aching fury in his heart, Beefrost had Foxheart, and the two of them would bask in the warmth of StarClan in this tunnel, hidden away from everyone else.

"We only have each other now, you know that?" Foxheart mewed, pressing himself close to Beefrost so that he could look into his eyes. Beefrost nodded. "It's us against everything now." Foxheart went on, lapping at the fur between Beefrost's ears, gazing out at the flashing lights.

We only have each other. His words were filled with regret, and Beefrost couldn't blame him. One mistake defined the rest of their lives. Or the rest of their afterlives. But it didn't matter anymore, this was his home now. Beefrost watchef Foxheart stagger back through the tunnel, returning to the darkness.

Beefrost turned with him, setting his paws over the rough, dry dirt. One step after another, the tom retreated into the void.

The end.