CHAPTER TWELVE

"Crowfang!" Bumblenose growled, leaping in front of Scorchpaw and lashing her tail in his face. Crowfang's green eyes glittered with an emotion Beepaw couldn't understand. Scorchpaw looked frightened, his stance faltered and he shrank back behind Bumblenose.

"Get your flea-bitten tails out of TrailClan land!" Bumblenose screeched. Crowfang looked smug, flicking his tail. In the same moment, roars exploded from the bushes around them.
Beepaw heard himself yelp as a familiar face glared from behind him. Cedarshine! Cedarshine's white fur glowed against the evening sun, Beepaw was frozen as he remembered the hunt they did together.

Beepaw looked around and spotted Tinypaw, who was no longer tiny, he looked almost as big as Scorchpaw. Rockstar raced into the center of the circle of AlpClan cats. He faced a golden queen, his eyes flashing with anger.
"Goldtail, TrailClan did nothing to you!" He sounded desperate.
"It's not up to me, Rockstar." She said grimly before turning to Crowfang.
She nodded and Crowfang snarled with delight.

"Attack!" Crowfang howled, then the hollow was filled with screeching cats. Beepaw stared with wide eyes as Crowfang and Cedarshine ripped along Bumblenose's fur, she let out a howl of pain then whipped around and raked her claws over Cedarshine's muzzle. "Ah yes, fearful apprentice!" Beepaw turned quickly and spotted Tinypaw standing over him. "Easy prey for Tinyheart!"

Doesn't he remember me? Beepaw fretted inwardly. Tinyheart growled and slapped Beepaw, his claws pierced into his skin. Beepaw screeched, he couldn't remember the last time he had felt this much pain.
Tinyheart bared his teeth and watched as Beepaw staggered, he was not prepared for this.

He bit back another howl of pain as Tinyheart leaped on him again. An idea sparked inside of Beepaw's head as he dropped to the ground. He gazed in Tinyheart's eyes, making sure he looked defeated. Beepaw heard Tinyheart mrrow with triumph. He let himself fall limp, and just when Tinyheart relaxed his grip, Beepaw exploded from beneath him and leaped on top of him.

Tinyheart gasped as Beepaw dug his toes hard into the back of his neck. The young warrior hissed and thrashed around, trying to shake him off. Use your claws! He urged himself, and extended his claws as far as he could. He felt Tinyheart howl and screech, his thrashing became desperate and wild.
Beepaw felt blood ooze over his paws, he released the screeching tom and Tinyheart fled, his blood flowing in a trail behind him.

"Tinyheart, you coward!" Crowfang hissed, taking his claws off of Bumblenose for only a moment. Beepaw saw her face, caked with blood and dirt, her eyes dull with the defeat that Beepaw knew she refused to admit.
Still feeling jumpy from his fight with Tinyheart, he leaped over and slammed his head into Cedarshine's shoulder, knocking him off balance. Beepaw saw Bumblenose's eyes flash with new determination as she struggled to her paws.

Cedarshine staggered to the side then bared his teeth. He signaled with his tail and Crowfang got to his side.

Beepaw's fur bristled fiercely, his claws tingling as he stared up at the looming warriors. He glanced at Bumblenose, who was still on the ground, her wounds making her weak. Oh StarClan! Beepaw wailed inwardly.
Crowfang lunged at Beepaw with outstretched claws, he tried to turn and run but claws snagged onto his flank. Beepaw yelped when he saw Cedarshine leap over him and turned with a snarl.

Beepaw heard a caterwaul of Scorchpaw's voice. He glanced around Cedarshine and saw Scorchpaw and Daisypaw.
Crowfang grunted, flicking his tail as Cedarshine turned around. Daisypaw launched herself on top of Cedarshine, digging her claws hard into his shoulder. Scorchpaw, the same size as Crowfang, leaped on top of him. Crowfang hissed as Scorchpaw tackled him to the ground.

Beepaw, feeling stronger now that his friends were here, leaped at Cedarshine to help Daisypaw. Daisypaw's triumphant shrieking filled the air as Cedarshine staggered back. Daisypaw wrapped her paws around his back, clutching on with her claws. "Do not be beaten by a couple of untrained fleas!" Crowfang called to his clanmate before dragging his claws down Scorchpaw's muzzle.

Scorchpaw let out a cry of pain as he stumbled back. Crowfang's eyes glittered with delight.He leaped on Scorchpaw's back, the two of them locked together in a ball of blood and claws. Beepaw dug his claws deep into Cedarshine's shoulders, his eyes darting all around the clearing. Rockstar had Goldtail pinned to the ground, Birchpaw and Eaglehare were cornering some AlpClan warriors, Heatherwish and Spiderdrift fought warriors away from the wounded Bumblenose, and Cherrypaw was fighting off two apprentice-sized cats.

Cedarshine leaped and landed on his back, leaving both Beepaw and Daisypaw winded and struggling to their paws. A loud screech sounded, making Beepaw jump, he turned his head and saw Scorchpaw standing over Crowfang, who was bleeding from a gash in his throat.
"How's that for fighting dirty!" Scorchpaw yowled, kicking soil over Crowfang, who struggled to stand up.

"Crowfang!" Cedarshine gasped, leaving Beepaw and Daisypaw alone and hurrying to the black tom's side. "I lost." Crowfang choked out, his voice heavy with resentment as Cedarshine led him off into the bushes.

Beeapw was about to congratulate Scorchpaw, when Rockstar's howl rang out across the battlefield. He and Daisypaw saw Goldtail and Creekstar biting and ripping at his fathers pelt. Cherrypaw was behind him, a bloody gash snaked across her back. "Rockstar!" Beepaw cried, he darted forward but was stopped by Birchpaw, who came from nowhere.
"No!" He said sternly, blocking Beepaw's path.

"I need to help Rockstar!" Beepaw urged, but Birchpaw held him back, there was no use trying to push back, Birchpaw was as big as a warrior. "That's a leader and a deputy! Going to fight them by yourself is suicide!" Birchpaw said tensely, his tail lashing back and forth. Beepaw glanced back and saw Daisypaw staring with wide eyes.

The last of the AlpClan patrol had fled from the clearing, leaving Goldtail and Creekstar tearing at Rockstar until he fell limp. For the first time, Beepaw wondered how many lives had his father lost in this battle.

Blood poured relentlessly from gashes around his throat. "That's three, I wonder how many lives you have left?" Creekstar purred, her eyes flickering to Cherrypaw, who yelped under her gaze. "You nasty little fox." Creekstar snarled, creeping towards her like a snake. Cherrypaw darted away, hiding beneath the roots of a tree. Beepaw felt frozen as he watched his sister be chased.

"You've already taken all the prey I caught that day!" Cherrypaw wailed, her voice was shaky as if she were trying to make herself sound unafraid. "That's not enough." Creekstar growled, digging her claws into the roots. "Send in the backup patrol!" She howled behind her shoulder, and a second group of cats leaped from the bushes, snarling and bushing out their fur.

Beepaw recognized Mosswing and Spotteddawn from the joint hunt, his heart sank as he looked around at his own clanmates: Bumblenose and Spiderdrift were huddled together, bleeding rivers, Heatherwish and Eaglehare surrounded them, limping and standing awkwardly. Beepaw saw Scorchpaw swaying from his wounds, and Rockstar was struggling to fight off Goldtail.

They were at a serious disadvantage. Daisypaw must've felt the same, because Beepaw heard her mumbling apologies to StarClan. Beepaw blinked hard as Scorchpaw ran from the clearing after a speckled white queen clawed him. "Get back, you coward!" The white queen screeched and gave chase. Beepaw, acting impulsively, leaped onto the queen and dug hard with his toes, then stretched out his claws as far as he could. The speckled queen growled and tried to shake him off, her white fur stained red with her blood.

Beepaw bit back a howl of pain as a shape crashed into him, he turned and saw a red tabby tom, his eyes gleaming with hatred. Beepaw toppled over as the speckled white queen swept his paws out from under him.
Oh no! Beepaw whimpered as the red tom sliced his claws down.

Beepaw saw red as blood clouded his vision, he struggled to fight back, giving frantic swipes with outstretched claws. Beepaw heard a screech of pain from Cherrypaw, he tried to stand up, but the two warriors clawed him without giving him any chance to fight back. Cherrypaw screeched again, and Beepaw's vision went black.