CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

The past few days, Beefrost had been confined to the medics' den to recover from the cold that the water had given him. The whole Clan knew the story by now; Fallenpaw fell through the ice, and Beefrost jumped in to save her. But Beefrost hadn't saved her. She died beside him, and his last words to her had been scolding.

Waspwhisper had given him several piles of herbs, Beefrost knew them by scent now: lavender and feverfew. For the first day or two, there was a juniper berry mixed in. The sun was rising and behind him, Waspwhisper stirred. Although she had been worried about wasting herbs, she seemed willing enough to spare more than half on Beefrost.

Bumblestar had taken Fallenpaw's loss hard, her duties were divided by the senior warriors as she grieved. Beefrost was only angry that she didn't blame him. He could've saved her kit, but he didn't. He was frozen. And Bumblestar praised him.

As the last shreds of his sickness ebbed away, Beefrost was allowed back into the camp, with sharp words of warning from Waspwhisper. "If you feel any worse, come see me at once" She hissed.

The fierce cold struck him, this time, he didn't shiver. Beefrost thought nothing felt cold after the frozen laterwater. He felt eyes on him, but the clearing was empty, still preparing for the freeze.

He turned around and spotted Maelstrom, who blinked at him coolly. Frustration clawed in Beefrost's belly. Quit staring like prey! He wanted to hiss, but he knew exactly what the white tom was thinking.

How could you? You knew it would happen, and you didn't prevent it!

Beefrost felt his claws itch, narrowing his eyes at his friend, hoping to get his thoughts across. You should've tried to stop it too! If you were so concerned. But he had no time to think about it, Haypetal would be happy to see him.

Peering into the warriors' den , he spotted the pretty golden tabby lapping at her sister's white pelt. It was Frostbite who spotted him, her eyes lit up. "Beefrost!" She purred, making Haypetal look up as well, but instead of the happiness Beefrost had expected, her eyes were wide with guilt.

The two sisters exchanged a glance before Frostbite gave an awkward purr, dipping his head in secret conversation with Haypetal. What was that about? Beefrost wondered, but the thought was quickly pushed aside as Birdstem staggered into the den, Eaglehare and Tangletuft were with her. They curled up in their nests, And Beefrost did the same, the setting sun was just visible beyond the thickly coated moss.

Closing his eyes, he tried to sleep, and eventually, darkness took him.