19 | 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒂𝒔𝒄𝒆𝒏𝒔𝒊𝒐𝒏

𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐆: 𝐀𝐥𝐥 𝐈 𝐍𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐛𝐲 𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧 𝐓𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

...🌑...

𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐄𝐍𝐓, 𝑀𝑌𝑆𝑇𝐼𝐶 𝐹𝐴𝐿𝐿𝑆

𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟗

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐢𝐫 𝐛𝐢𝐭 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐤𝐢𝐧 𝐚𝐬 𝐈 𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐝 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐲𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫❜𝐬 𝐇𝐚𝐥𝐥.

The preparations for my ascension were well underway, witches and workers bustling around, cleaning, arranging, and perfecting every detail. My heart pounded in my chest, each beat a reminder of the monumental change awaiting me.

Mrs. Lockwood and my mom stood near the staircase, discussing the arrangements. Their voices carried through the cold air, mingling with brooms sweeping the courtyard clean.

"It's coming along beautifully," Mrs. Lockwood remarked, her tone brisk and efficient.

My mom nodded, her eyes scanning the courtyard. "All we need is..."

"Don't worry. I sent out the list for the Founder's Court. The Miss Mystic Falls pageant will disguise your daughter's ascension."

"Good."

I descended the steps, the cold seeping through my shoes and grounding me. Workers moved around, clearing twigs and dirt, their breaths visible in the chill. The week would end with my ascension, and the thought sent a shiver down my spine, though not from the cold.

"I'll need an escort," I said, my voice steadier than I felt.

My mom turned to me, a faint smile on her lips. "I've got it covered. One of the boys in the coven."

I sighed, knowing she wouldn't understand if I told her I wanted Damon. It would lead to questions I wasn't ready to answer, not yet.

"While the pageant goes on, you will go into the backroom alone and touch the crystal. When you feel the pull, good or evil, you'll latch on to it, and before you know it, you'll ascend."

Worry gnawed at me. "What if I'm destined for evil?"

She grasped my hands, her gaze piercing into mine. "You're not."

"Mom, I'm serious."

"So am I." She brushed a stray lock of hair from my face, the wind tousling it again. "A mom knows."

Her confidence did little to soothe my anxiety. "Why do you ask?"

I hesitated, my feelings for Damon pressing down on me. Forbidden as the future Queen, but I couldn't help it. "You told me to stay away."