8 | 𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒇𝒂𝒏'𝒔 𝒃𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒉𝒅𝒂𝒚

🌑

...🌑...

PRESENT, Mystics Falls

𝐍𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟗

"Did you do everything on mom's list?"

I rolled my eyes at my sister on the other line. "Almost." I stared at the police station as I sat in my car. "You know Miss Mystic Falls is during my ascension."

"No," Orianna said. "Has the Mom and the coven said?"

"You mean council," I said.

"Same thing," Orianna told me. "Are they going to talk to the town council?"

I didn't think that waking up today, I had to talk to Caroline's mom and lie to her about where Vicki was. With my ascension only a month away, I wanted to focus on that and school because I didn't know what my life would look like after my ascension.

"I don't know." I sighed. "Mom and them will probably figure something out."

"It's not bad, the ascension," Orianna said. "The ritual just unlocks your hidden powers, and everyone will celebrate the next step in your life as a witch."

I wasn't so sure. "I don't understand why my ascension is such a bigger deal than yours was. We're only two years apart."

"Because, little sister." Orianna teased. "You're the heir, and I'm not. In our family, the daughter born under the moon will lead the witches while..."

"...the daughter born under the sun will lead the wolves." I finished. "But we both have the werewolf gene."

"True." Orianna agreed. "But you haven't broken yours yet. Plus, you don't want to. It's nice being a hybrid that I can change at will, but you don't want to listen to your wolf talk to you nonstop. It's kinda creepy."

I got out of my care. "Don't let Ra hear you say that."

"Too late," Oriana muttered. "Anyway, just send me what is left on your list you don't have time to do, and I'll do it when I come home for break."

She ended the call, and I pulled my phone into my jacket pocket before walking into the police station with dread.

"Any signs of aggression or violence?"

I crossed my legs, staring at Caroline's mom. "No,"

Liz wrote into a file, and I looked at my hands, trying to keep them from fidgeting. I hated lying to Caroline's mom, but if she and the council discovered that Vicki was a vampire, it would lead back to Stefan and Damon, leading to Elena. 

Lying was the only way to protect her. 

"So you believe Vicki really has left town?" She said.

"Yes," I nodded.