12 | 𝒕𝒉𝒆 50'𝒔 𝒅𝒂𝒏𝒄𝒆

𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐆: 𝐌𝐢𝐝𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐛𝐲 𝐉𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐖𝐚𝐥𝐤𝐞𝐫

...🌑...

𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐄𝐍𝐓, 𝑀𝑌𝑆𝑇𝐼𝐶 𝐹𝐴𝐿𝐿𝑆

𝐍𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟗

𝐒𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐧, 𝐛𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐄𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐚'𝐬 𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐞, 𝐈 𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐤𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐨𝐧 𝐦𝐲 𝐣𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐬, 𝐦𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐫𝐚𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐬.

Jeremy was at the dining room table, completely absorbed in his sketching. The sound of his pencil scratching against paper was oddly soothing, a small anchor in the storm of my thoughts.

My phone buzzed in my hand, and I sighed before answering. 

"Selene?"

"Yeah, Mom, I'm here," I replied, not really wanting to engage.

"Selene, you have to talk to me eventually."

I rolled my eyes, even though she couldn't see it. "I'm at Elena's."

"Are you safe?"

"Yes," I muttered, feeling the familiar weight of her worry.

"I sent Orianna back to school. She's getting some of her things since her break is starting."

"Okay."

"I never meant to lie, mija. But Elena's mom and dad...we were going to tell you both."

I glanced over at Jeremy, completely absorbed in his sketching, his pencil moving deftly across the paper. I rose quietly, the floor creaking under my weight, and slipped into the bathroom around the corner. 

Once inside, I locked the door behind me, the click sounding louder than it should in the small space. I twisted the faucet, letting the water run, its steady flow masking any chance of my conversation being overheard. The last thing I wanted was for Stefan to catch any part of this from upstairs.

"You lied to me, Mom. Not just about being adopted but that I have a sister," I said, trying to keep my voice steady.

"Grayson thought it would be suspicious if Miranda randomly had twin girls, so he asked me if I would take one. I wasn't sure until I held you in my arms."

I rubbed my forehead, trying to process everything. "Is Elena a witch, too?"

"No. Grayson said you were born after Elena. Maybe it has something to do with your birth mother's family."