18 | 𝒋𝒐𝒉𝒏 '𝒋𝒂𝒄𝒌𝒂𝒔𝒔' 𝒈𝒊𝒍𝒃𝒆𝒓𝒕

𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐆: 𝐂𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐓𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐌𝐲 𝐄𝐲𝐞𝐬 𝐎𝐟𝐟 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐛𝐲 𝐂𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝐁𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐬

...🌑...

𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐄𝐍𝐓, 𝑀𝑌𝑆𝑇𝐼𝐶 𝐹𝐴𝐿𝐿𝑆

𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟗

𝐄𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐚'𝐬 𝐯𝐨𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐞𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐚𝐬 𝐈 𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐝 𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐫𝐬. 

"Come on, Jeremy, going to school! Walking out the door now!"

I reached the bottom step, rifling through my bag for my sketchbook. Jenna, ever the lifesaver, intercepted my search with a knowing smile.

"Forgot this," she said, handing Elena a thermos before turning to me to give me my sketchbook.

"Thank you," we said in unison, earning Jenna a chuckle.

"That's a little freaky," she teased.

Elena shrugged, mirroring my expression as she opened the door. Her steps halted abruptly, and I glanced over her shoulder to see John Gilbert standing on the porch, his hand poised to knock.

"Elena!" John greeted with a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. His gaze shifted to me. "Selene!"

"Uncle John," Elena said, forcing a smile. "Hi."

I nodded in his direction, biting back the comments I wanted to hurl at him. John stepped past us without waiting for an invitation, acting like he owned the place.

"Jenna," he acknowledged her with a dismissive nod.

"John," she replied coolly. "You made it."

"I said I'd be here before noon," he responded a hint of defensiveness in his tone.

Selene and I exchanged a look as Jeremy appeared at the top of the stairs, jogging down to join us.

"Uncle John, what's up?" Jeremy greeted, slapping John on the shoulder before heading out the door.

"I had some business in town," John said, turning to Elena. "Thought a visit was in order."

"How long are you staying?" Elena asked, her tone polite but strained.

"I don't know yet," he replied.

"Okay, well, we're gonna go to school. See you later," Elena said quickly, grabbing my arm and pulling me towards the car.