18. Ephemeral

Chloe stumbled slightly as she felt the blade exit her body. As quick as she could, the girl turned around and was faced with the man she least wanted to see.

"You were never meant to live," Her father said with gritted teeth as he threw away his sword and grabbed her neck with both hands.

Chloe's hands moved immediately to grab onto his wrists, clinging and pushing desperately at them in hopes of wriggling them off her.

"You were never meant to be born!" He shouted in her face, as red, thick liquid slowly seeped through her leather shirt and her need for breaths grew heavier, feeling the strength leaving with the blood.

"Your mother would laugh if she saw you now," He chuckled while Chloe felt her anger building up at the mention of her mother. How dare he, he who murdered her, even think about her.

"Don't you talk about her," She choked while looking up at him. She received a sick grin, as if proud to have killed her.

"Why? She was nothing more than a whore on the street!" He laughed while removing one hand from Chloe, to grab his dagger.

In a moment of rage, she harshly knocked her fist into his nose, making him lose his grip on her and stumble back towards the ground. The man was wounded as well, Chloe spotted a deep and long cut across his leg.

She had fallen down on the grass, exhausted and in need of air, and the pain got more and more excruciating. She grit her teeth together and put her hand on her stomach, trying to stop more blood from exiting her body.

Despite all of her pain, she took the last dagger from her thigh and slowly crawled over to Miraz' body as her blood painted the grass a crimson red.

"Screw you," Chloe stuttered and breathed heavily. All she wanted to do was lay down and give up. But she couldn't. Miraz had to die.

"You won't kill me," he said with confidence, as he lay still on the ground. He truly did not believe she had the guts or mentality for killing her own father. Neither was sure if she even had the strength for it. They both knew by her pale face that both the wound and blood loss was lethal.

With immense struggling, Chloe lifted her dagger up to Miraz' throat before his eyes widened in realization. Or was it fear?

Whatever it was, his expression was satisfactory for the young girl.

"I want to be," Chloe breathed out between gasps and coughs. "I want to be the last... last thing you see before you die," she finished before pressing her dagger into her father's skin, cutting into his neck.

Chloe watched closely as the light left her fathers eyes, his expression faded and grew cold, his head tilted back to the grass as he finally accepted defeat.

The grip he had on Chloe's upper arm loosened, and she crawled away from him with the last bit of strength she had, but fell flat on her back.

As she did so, an ear-splitting scream could be heard across the battlefield as Peter Pevensie saw the girl he loved lie down on the grass.

As quick as he could, the boy ran over to her and quickly lifted her head up into his lap while tears pushed from the back of his eyes.

"No, no, no, no, no," he muttered, trying to push away his tears. His eyes searched Chloe's body when they spotted the hole in her stomach.

"No, no, please, come on," he whispered, more to himself than anyone. He could not lose Chloe.

The girl lay in her beloved's arms while gasping repeatedly for air that did nothing to heal her. Her eyes were shut, but the feeling of Peter's hand stroking her face made her smile slightly.

"Chloe?" Peter nearly shouted in hope as he saw her faint smile.

She tried to answer, to tell him yes. She wanted to tell him that she was there. But something stopped her. Her mouth would not make a sound other than the low, ragged breathing it had been doing the past half minute.

She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion at the lack of words leaving her mouth.

Peter said something while stroking her hair, but she could not hear. All sound around her was blurred out, and soon she lost the feeling of his touch. She didn't even hear him screaming at the top of his lungs, calling out for his younger sister, for she could heal his loved one with her special cordial.

Chloe could not feel the tears from the boy, dripping rapidly down on her own face, as he could not hold them back anymore.

Everyone else heard him screaming her name while sobbing, but the only person he wanted to react was laying motionless in his arms, unknowingly taking her last breath when Peter Pevensie, the only boy she ever loved, bent down to kiss her one last time.

Peter knew deep in his heart, that Chloe Raeden would always have a special place there, no matter how many years he would live without her. Their love was special, no matter how ephemeral it was.

*

Caspian found me on the battlefield after he noticed I was missing.

I failed to tear my eyes away from Chloe as I held her in my arms, her skin cold and eyes dazed.

I heard Caspian gasp for air as he fell to the ground next to me.

"No... no..." I heard him mutter as a new pair of hands made its way onto Chloe's cold and still face.

~~~

Whoops

yeah, sorry I don't like happy endings, yet I don't really know how to write someone dying either.

well.

This story has actually been really fun to write, even though I've had like a month's break between every chapter. So if something's not adding up, that's probably why:)

Anyways, I hope you liked this story, also please leave a vote if you liked the chapter<3

ily - Mira

Ps: epilogue is out