THE CALM BEFORE...

ENID

"I stand here before you today at the dawn of a new tomorrow" – begins king Ezekiel.

Up in the theater's balcony, we are all watching and listening to him. I am in Alden's arms, among many others from Hilltop, Oceanside, the Kingdom and Alexandria. My smile slowly fades when Ezekiel mentions Rick's sacrifice. Rick was such a good father and leader. More than that, he was a symbol. A symbol also illustrated through Jesus as Ezekiel mentions his death. I tense a bit, filled with nostalgia when a hand takes mine. I lift up my eyes to see Alden smiling at me. He doesn't seem sad but proud. Proud of our friend. I am too. 

"We have always been bound to each other. And we always will be. We fought our way back to each other. We grow. "

His words inspire us, connect us all. My eyes wander across the crowd, stopping on familiar faces, people I stood next to in Alexandria against the walkers when the wall fell down, or on that hill against Negan. Even if time passed by, we still have those memories.

"Today is proof that we can unite. Not against a common enemy but for the common good. So eat, drink, trade and be merry. Because we have a lot of lost time to make up for."

Jerry then shows up to say the wrong name which makes me laugh and gives this day a good start. As soon as the dove was released into the air, Alden and I started to walk around, greeting old friends. I stopped by Rosita and Siddiq to take news on her state. She thanked me for taking care of her but assured me that she was okay. I catched a glance between the two that made me curious. I didn't think much about it as Alden and I started wandering between the booths, stopping at some throwing knives competition. 

Alden goes first, he's not that bad. He took three targets out of five and got some key rings. He then elbows me and, with an insistent look, pushes me to take a try. To be honest, I do want to test myself. And I sure was right to do so as when we walk away from the stand it's with two bracelets on each other wrists and five targets down. To be fair, knives are more my speciality, he's more a spear type of man.

"Can we act as if I won this for you?" He tries to beg

"Why ? Too shy to admit you were beaten by a girl?" I scoff

"I'll admit any day that you are stronger than me" He retorts while taking my hand into his

"Oh really ?" I glance at him before pulling him closer to me.

He returns my smile before pulling me closer to him. I don't want this moment to ever end. But of course, not everything goes according to plan as I remember I promised to help Siddiq.

"Oh shit" I say, stepping back

"What ?" He asks confused

"I forgot I had to help Siddiq with the medical booth. I have to go"

I start to walk away before turning back to run to his arms and lay a kiss on his lips.

"See you" He whispers before I break the hug and disappear in the crowd while he goes looking for Luke. Thank god the medical booth isn't hard to find so I easily spot my friend and co-worker. After a few apologies and a huge smile, Siddiq lets me slide, not without a disapproving look, and gives me some gloves for me to assist him. We mostly explain first aid techniques. As we simulate a cardiac attack, Siddiq shows some kids how to make the massage. They all look at him admiratively, especially when Siddiq gives them a little sweet at the end. So they all leave with a huge smile on their faces.

"You're really good with children" I say with a lot of unsaid. He looks at me strangely so I add "No but for real you are calm and patient, god knows you were with me, and sweet. You are just naturally good at this"