THE CALM BEFORE PART 2

CARL

"Hi" Tells me Enid

I don't answer right away, too lost in her eyes and memories. It's like I can't even imagine her being there. For years I tried to erase her from my memory, act as if she had never existed to lighten my pain, so to think she is actually standing right in front of me, with these green inquiring eyes... Her unsettled face brings me back to reality. Speak you idiot.

"You look okay" I mumble, words breaking through my lips before thinking twice about it

Really ? That's all I could find after not seeing her in ages ? I want to punch myself or run away. Or both at this point.

"Thanks ?" She says, confused, before adding with a gentle smile. "You look good too"

"Thanks" I answer right away before an awkward silence settles in.

I don't even know where to begin so facing my lack of spontaneity, she carries on.

"I didn't think you would come. Any of you really" She says while looking over her shoulder to Michonne that left to speak with Siddiq

"Oh. Michonne changed her mind." I inform her

"I see. That's... nice"

"It is."

Awkward silence. Again.

"Have you seen the magic stand?" I stupidly ask. No one cares about the fucking magic stand.

"Hum, no I haven't yet. Is it good?" She asks but I can see she is also a bit uncomfortable.

It seems as if she wants to say something but can't, so she settles for this. So do I. I want to ask her how she has really been doing, if she ever thought of me but I don't know how so I just mumble.

"Yeah. The kids loved it"

"Oh. Great. How are they?"

"Who?" I ask confused

"The kids." I furrow my eyebrows. "Judith and RJ ?"

"Oh ! They are great. Judith is so smart and strong. She's already fighting walkers on her own. And she's not afraid to speak her mind on things. I might have something to do with that. RJ on the other hand, is such a gentle kid, always happy, he falls asleep pretty easily and -" I stop when I realize I am losing myself but Enid doesn't seem to mind, she even adds :

"I remember when Judith was a baby. I used to play with her back in Hilltop when you were... unconscious" She simply finishes with.

I don't remember everything back then, it's consistent as I was in a coma for weeks. I know what I've been told though. How Enid stood by my side whenever she could, when she wasn't fighting the saviors. But again it's still blurry. I do remember clearly though the look on her face when she first saw me after I had woken up. I think she was out on watch duty at the time so my dad was the one looking after me. Maggie was there too, helping the doctors. We told me not to force myself, to be careful. That's when Enid ran inside. She couldn't believe her eyes. I think it was the first time I saw her cry. Well, the second time actually. The first one was when she found out about Glenn.

"That... that was a long time ago. You seem different" I add

"In a good or bad way?" She asks with a smirk but her eyes tell me she's more worried about my answer than excited

"Good. Obviously" She slightly sighs, is it relief ? I can't say. But she doesn't say anything else so silence comes back for a moment.

Clearly unsettled, she does the same thing she used to, pulling her hair behind her ear. I watch as she does so, as hypnotized as I was back then. Something she notices right away