THE CALM BEFORE PART 3

ENID

I hear someone calling me out from a far, their voice is getting stronger and stronger. When I open my eyes, my ear is ringing and my head feels crushed. My eyes slowly adjust to the darkness to spot familiar faces all around me

"Siddiq." I whisper weakly

"Oh thank god Enid." He sighs out of relief.

I grunt as I sit up, my head still hurting as if I had been hit. Oh wait, I was. Damn woman. 

When my eyes start to get used to the darkness, I look around me. Tara and Siddiq are at the end of the barn. Tammy Rose and Rodney are between us while Frankie, Addie and Henry are in front of me. Only Henry is awake, as Frankie and Addie are still out. But his face tells me he's just woken up with a bad headache like mine. Rodney and Siddiq, on their sides, are trying to wake up the last ones while Tara tries to loosen the rope which she is tied up with. We all are. What the hell. 

But this isn't the time to ask questions. I shake myself to stay awake and copy Tara while the rest wake up. But before we can free ourselves, the door of the barn opens on several whisperers. They don't talk, just stand there in a threatening manner. The knives in their hand sure help built that image. But then, they all step aside for a  woman to come forward. Alpha. Time just stops, I can almost hear my heart pounding. We all look at her, wondering what she will do next. When she moves her head to her footmen, I know. I try to speed up to free myself but it's too late.

Or at least I think so when I hear some footsteps coming from behind, I turn to discover Ozzie, Alek and DJ running towards us, weapons in hands. They throw themselves on the first line of whisperers, which gives the time for Tara, Henry, Tammy Rose and I to free ourselves. Once freed I try to untie Frankie but a woman jumps towards me, or more specifically her knife, which I narrowly avoid. I jump backward and realize my mistake right away as the woman turns to slit Frankie's throat with a swift move. A string of blood appears on her neck before she collapses on the floor in a muffle sound. I want to scream or cry, but there is no time.

I move backward to find myself back to back with Tara and Henry. We glance at each other and realize that this is the end. We all do. Addie and Rodney start crying, Siddiq looks horrified. Henry seems only filled with determination, or is it anger? But Tara doesn't give up at all, instead she picks up the knife that a whisperer dropped and prepares herself to fight with Ozzie, Alek and DJ. She knows we have no chance but she doesn't flicker. She stands tall, ready for the fight of her life. And I don't know why, but it give us the strength to do the same.

We knew we were going to die either way, might as well go out fighting. The teens wipe out their tears and stand beside me. Elbow to elbow with Henry we stand tall as the whisperers rush towards us, armed with knives. We create a line, a powerful one, to fight all side by side against them. We protect each other, even if we don't all know each and everyone of us. But at this moment we are one. One community, one group.

Henry and I eventually get separated. As I push away a whisperer and stab him in the chest with his own knife, I can see Henry in the middle, facing Alpha directly. I want to scream at him not to, but what's the point ? I don't even get the chance as another whisperer almost rips open my stomach. My eyes go to my belly from where my shirt is now stained red. When I put my hand on it, it's covered with blood. I stumble back when the man comes at me again. Siddiq interferes and kills the man before the blow land. I have barely the time to thank him than another one comes at me. This time, I dodge the knife and sink mine inside the heart of my oponent. His eyes widen out of surprise, he tries to murmur something but I twist my knife and life leaves his face in a second. I drop his body at me feet and raise my blade in front of me, shaking my head for my hair to get out of my sight. When I look again at where Henry used to be, I see him fighting, or rather being surrounded by whisperers. But he doesn't give up, and neither are we.