WHAT YOU DO FOR FAMILY

ENID

Blood is the first thing I see, blood everywhere: on my hands, on my clothes, on the floor. I try to wipe it off but it doesn't come off, it's like it's embedded. Then I hear a hoarse sound and look down to find Tara, dying at my feet. The scene takes shape, the walls materialize around us like a set being built and I find myself in this barn on this fatal day. Behind me I hear the sound of a battle and turn to discover Siddiq punching and punching a defending body. His opponent's face is blurred but the bloody blade in his palm is clearer than the rest. I don't know what to do when I hear "help me". Tara's voice. I meet her frightened gaze and quickly bend down to help her but my hands go through her body as if she was nothing. I try several times but it remains the same. She is dying and I cannot help her. Her blood continues to drill until it creates a puddle on the concrete. I see her features relax, her eyes lose their glow. I lunge at her again but she evaporates before I can even touch her, leaving only blood behind.

"It's all your fault you know". I turn to find the room has now shifted to a cave with Dawn standing in the middle. When I look back to where Tara was just a second ago, no one is left.

"What" I breathe confused, my eyes still wet.

"You did that." Says someone else coming from the left. I don't have to turn who it is.

"Jonas" I whisper in disbelief watching what was once my friend glaring at me. He brings his hand to his neck where blood is starting to drill from.

"No, no I didn't-". I plead, my breaking voice echoing on the walls

"We could have escaped '' Dawn carries on "But we came back. For you. And now our baby is an orphan. I bet you are just going to get her killed too"

"That's not true..." I start to sob, my body convulsing as I hear the baby crying on a distance

"See?" Jonas comes closer, his eyes turning slowly white "You are no fit to take care of her. Of anyone. Everyone that gets close to you die"

"Everyone" Tara appears by her side. Quickly joined by Jesus, Tammy Rose, Henry... Everyone in the barn but also my parents.

"Mom, dad, please" I stumble to them but they are just shadows, disappearing as I get to them.

"Maggie was right to leave you" I hear behind me. I know who it is, I've dreamed of hearing his voice again but I can't turn. I can't. "I shouldn't have brought you back to Alexandria" Glenn.

"Please, please stop!" I start to yell, crouching on the floor. "I can't, do you hear me? I can't!"

I wake up with a start, my body clammy with sweat, my eyes soaked with tears. I struggle to understand where I am as vivid images of my nightmare still unfold before my eyes. I would like to say that the return to reality is calming me down, but it's not. I can still smell the blood, and hear the screams. My heart tightens as if someone is pinching it, my hands are still shaking. I feel a heat wave and so decide to pull myself out of the coat, but it doesn't change anything. Panic takes control of my body. I feel my heart speed up and my breath become irregular. I get up as best I can, careful enough not to wake the baby sleeping in my arms.

The air freezes my lungs but I welcome it. My legs, all weak, let me down and I fall to the ground. I wince at the contact of the frozen earth on my knees, but the pain gives me some distraction. So I stay on my knees, breathing in the cold, trying to get the images out of my mind and calm my distraught body. I look up to admire the night landscape, focusing on every element whatever it is in an attempt to distract my mind. I notice the cracks in a trunk and a half-broken branch that tries in vain to stay attached to the tree. I see the leaves tinted with an orange glow fall to the ground as they crumble. I hear the wind blowing between the branches and the remaining foliage. I can't tell how long I stay like this, but when I decide to move, I have pins and needles in my whole body. I turn around, one foot after the other and get up. It is only then that the baby decides to wake up. I stumble to her to meet her little brown eyes staring at me