FIRE IS CATCHING

CARL

The forest is bright with the light infringing through the trees, yet it seems so dead. It's so quiet out here. The only sounds being rare birds flying away or my machete cutting some branches out of the way. It's sure that no words are spoken. Not with him. I glance behind where Alden is following my path. How did this happen?

Well, I know how. After we warned Alexandria, we decided to gather a small group to investigate. To make sure no whisperer is out there, that the skin is just an isolated event. But how did I end up being paired with Alden out of all people? Thank God he isn't chatty either.

"Anything?" The radio cracks. Michonne's voice.

"Nothing so far." Yumiko answers immediately. I look over to Alden as he brings the talkie-walkie to his mouth.

"Not over here." And it's true. Since we have gone our separate ways, Alden and I have come across nothing but trees. I don't know if it's good news or not... And considering Alden's face, I'd say he wonders the same.

"Why did you ask to keep Enid in the dark?" Alden breaks the silence.

"Why? You think it's a dumb idea?" Already acting on the defense, this starts well.

"No. But out of all people, I wouldn't have thought you would be the one to keep this a secret." Somehow, it doesn't help as it reminds me not only they used to date but also that maybe I am just being an asshole for not telling her. I freeze, turning his way.

"You think I am making a mistake?" His face shows he's as surprised as I am that I would ask for his opinion. But before he could even answer, I withdraw. "You know what, asking you is the mistake." I turn back, facing the road so I don't have to see his face.

"I think..." Alden starts, nevertheless. "That I understand your worry. I think that's what I would have done too. To keep her safe. But you are not me. She made that clear ultimately."

"About that..." I stop once again, this time to meet his eyes. It's the least I can do. "I am sorry for being such a prick to you."

"You? A prick? More like a pain in the ass."

"Oh okay, I got it." I roll my eye, avoiding him.

"A reaaal pain." He carries on to my great displeasure.

"Jeez, I am sorry, okay?" I say harshly yet I can see the corner of his lips raising.

"Well then, I am sorry for punching you in the sanctuary."

"Well good. Good, good, good." I murmur. Silence drops for a minute before he speaks again.

"I would have won that fight though."

"You so wouldn't have!"

"Okay, maybe I wouldn't have. But I would have tried at least." He admits.

"You do have a nice right hook."

"So do you, my nose still remembers it." I cannot hide my proud smile.

"Well thanks..." I mumble reluctantly.

"What did you say?"

"I said..." But when I meet his shining eyes, I stop mid-air. "Damnit, you heard me, didn't you?" But he only shrugs his shoulders, moving forward. "Asshole."

That's when the radio cracks.

"We didn't find anything. We are circling back." Michonne's voice again.

"Hold on. There is something we think you should see."

"Where are you?" Alden and I exchange a comprehensive look as Magna explains her whereabouts.