SCARS

ENID

I look at Alden as he leads the horses pulling the cart. I am sitting beside him on the front of the cart while Luke, Marco and others are talking behind. I put my hand on Alden's, which gives him a satisfied smile.

"What ?" I say deceitfully annoyed

"Nothing nothing". He says with an even wider smirk

"What "? I ask again laughing this time.

He doesn't have the time to answer than Luke intervenes

"Hey lovebirds"

"We aren't... are we ? I..." I start to mumble.

"Wanna hear a song ?"

I thank Luke for his intervention as Alden and I never really discussed what we are so it would have been embarrassing no matter what I say.

"We shouldn't. It would bring more walkers". Says Marco.

"Maybe a small one ? In the name of love." Luke begs while looking at us.

He makes me laugh but I am about to tell him no when Alden steps in.

"You know what, it's not a bad idea" – Faced with my frown he adds –" It could pop the troup's spirits. We are going to a fair after all."

I concede and let Luke start singing "all I want for christmas is you". He's quickly joined by others including Marco, Alden accompanies with some clapping on rhythm while I take the reins. I don't sing, but can't help myself smiling in front of such a performance.

My smile quickly fades when I hear the growls of walkers coming in. I take the pair of binoculars to watch among the trees and spot dozens of walkers.

"Guys, walkers coming in front". I report

Alden stops the cart and takes his spear like Marco while I take out my knives. I tell the others to protect the horses and the cart as others could come from the sides.

I jump out of the cart and hold my first knife which I throw right into the forehead of the first walker. I repeat the operation two times before they get too close. All simultaneously, we strike down the first line of walkers, the boys with their spears, and me with my knife. The movement is familiar, just like the sound when the blade goes through the skin and skull. I retrieve my knife, which splashes blood on my face and shirt, and go for the next one. Three against six. Easy win. Or at least that's why I thought until I heard a scream.

I turn to see Alden on the floor, pushing the walker away with his stick on his neck while his jaw is clapping close to his face. But Alden's staff is starting to go right through the neck of the walker, spattering blood everywhere. Fear kicks in, am I about to lose people ? Again ? The walker beside me tries to take advantage of my distraction, but I dodge and grab its rotting arm to pull him towards me, his head going right through my blade. Two down. I look back at Alden, still struggling and my hand goes to my pocket but I am out of throwing knives.

"Marco, take care of this one". I yell while rushing to Alden - "Hey !" I s cream to catch the walker's attention

He turns his head in my direction but it's already too late. I kick him out of Alden and plunge my blade into his right eye. His body stops moving and the growl is gone. I spin on myself to offer a hand to Alden to get him up.

"Thanks. I slipped." He tells me in a breath.

I pull him closer, to make sure he's okay. Second time in a week I thought I was going to lose him. Better not start a habit.

"All clear". Says Marco to the others.

I notice some walkers' bodies all around the cart and where we stand on the road.