18. Monster?

Jennie sat fiddling in her chair. She put her leg up to her chest one and then brought it down, fiddled with her wring and fixed her hair an unnecessary amount of times.

Taehyung just bounced his knee as he waited, not knowing how to initiate the conversation.

"This is going to be a difficult talk." He started, as she looked to meet his gaze this time.

"I want you to tell me your side of what happened with Sera."

Jennie took a sharp breath, not expecting the bluntness nor the sudden nature of the question.

"From where?" She asked as she looked up to meet his eyes, and was surprised to see he wasn't glaring at her as he usually did, only this time he was observant.

"From wherever you think is necessary." He answered as he took a drink of water.

"Well. Sera was my sister. She was family. What can I say. I loved her. I loved more than I could ever think was possible. She became my family when my own never accepted me." She started as Taehyung nodded.

"We would do everything together. Roommates, what can I say? We were roommates who both came from Busan. Our click was instantaneous. Every time we went home for vacation it would be to Busan with you. All three of us were a family in my eyes. She would be there when I trained, when I recorded, when I was at my lowest and highest. She was there for everything." Jennie reminisced at the happy memories together.

"Then, there was that day. It was right after the night where we promised to meet at that spot year after year. Who would've known that would be the only year we went together." She mused as she wiped a stray tear rolling down her cheek.

"The cancer diagnosis. I never hated the world more than that day. I barely had any family, and that day was the last day I had any. It was the end of my world, Taehyung. She would be gone in a matter of months, months. It was cruel, really. But I did what I had to do. I hid it in front of her. The pain of losing her. I made sure to follow through with what she asked of me, to make happy memories before she left." Jennie continued as she sighed.

"I had all that, and my mom suddenly said that either I prove myself with my idol career path soon, which meant debuting to her, or I would have to give it all up and work in the company. And then my step dad, was being him I guess. I didn't want to give up like that, Tae. I didn't want to live a life where I would be unhappy all the damn time."

"And then, came the meeting. My company CEO called me in, saying that if I passed his interview and proved to be good enough to debut then I would the next month. That was it. That was my big break. And so, I went over to the CEO's office and had my meeting. The only catch? Phones weren't allowed. I had to submit mine and take it later, and so, I switched it off. Then I went through the meeting and collected my phone..." she said as he finished for her.

"Only to see the missed calls and messages too late."
He concluded as she nodded.

"I came back immediately. Her date was two weeks early Tae. Two whole fucking weeks early. I didn't expect it to be on the one day I was gone. God, I wish I never went. By the time I arrived it was too late. She was gone and I never got to say goodbye or keep my promise." She continued as she began crying now, at the painful memories.

"She died. And I wasn't there for her like I promised. And then, you hated me. Everyone was disappointed that because of me, she couldn't pass away peacefully. I couldn't face her parents and it all got too much. I was young, stupid even. I couldn't go back there and face everyone after what happened, and I found out I got approved for debut, and so I just...left." She ended as he sat and processed everything.

"When was the last time you went to Busan?" He asked as she bit her lip and fidgeted further.

"I haven't been...since then." She said looking down as Taehyung let his jaw drop.

He hadn't realized how hard it had been for her. How hard everything was, including seeing him everyday.

After listening to everything, he couldn't bring himself to continually hate her. 

"Why didn't you tell us, or at least me with what was going on at home?" He asked as she sighed.

"Tae, how could I have? I was 16 for fucks sake. Sera was literally dying with cancer, and we had to be there for her. What I had going on at home could never compare." Jennie muttered as she ran a hand through her hair. 

"Jen, that doesn't make you any less important. If you would have told us, or at least me, you're just as important." He said with a sigh before looking back on.

"Wait, was he..?" He asked without subject by leaning forward this time. 

"Did he start hitting you again?" he asked, terribly obvious regarding who he was talking about.

And the lack of her answer once again already proved to him he was right. 

"Fuck Jen... I wish you could have told me." he said. 

The fact that he stated that he wished she could have told him rather than berating her for not telling him already warmed her heart with something similar to...hope. 

Hope that they were past the past of hate.

"So yeah...thats my side I guess." she summed up, in an odd ending as she was terribly awkward during tense scenarios. 

"well...yeah." He replied, letting a breath out during a pause. 

"So..." She continued, hating the silence hung over them as he looked to her.

"Do you still, well, hate me?" Jennie asked bluntly as he blinked before collapsing in his chair.

"No. I don't. How could I Jen." he answered truthfully as she smiled slightly.

"Okay."

"Okay."

-------------------

Chapter 18

----

Acts of Hate

----

JJENINII

-----------------