Burning

Neteyam
Eclipse was upon us, and I was dying to see Caya. I was walking to the door until my father stopped me.
"Where are you going Neteyam?" He asks, grabbing my arm.
"Dad.. please. I need to go check on Caya." I whisper.
"Don't you think you've done enough? You're lucky they didn't make us leave. You're going to piss her parents off even more." He hisses.
I gasped, widening my eyes.
"Dad... I know everything is my fault. But I have to know she's okay. I love her..." I mutter, looking up at him.
He sighs, lets go of my arm and puts his hand on the back of my head. He pulls me in tight.
"I love you, boy. Go get your girl."
I smile "I love you too, dad."
"Go." He says pushing me towards the door.
I run out of our Marui to Caya's.
I peek in and see Reya and Ao'nung. Reya runs up to me and gives me a hug.
"How is she doing?" I look down at her.
"She's well, she's sleeping. But Neteyam wait-"
I pull away and walk into Caya's room. I'm shocked to find Lautokx sitting on her bed, holding her hand and petting her head as she sleeps peacefully.
The anger boiling inside of me is unbearable. That should be me.
He looks over at me and scowls.
"Kempe si nga?" He whispers angrily. He gets up and walks towards me.
"Me? What about you?" I growl.
"I am welcome here, unlike your skxawng ass." He shoves me back through the doorway.
I hiss at him, baring my teeth. "Back off Lau, I'm warning you."
He hisses back in my face.
Ao'nung walks up to us, pulling us both away from the doorway.
"If either of you skxawngs wake up my sister, I will kill you. Be quiet or take it out of here."
Our ears flatten, and we nod at Ao'nung.
We go to sit in the main room, glaring at one another.
Suddenly we hear cries coming from Cayas room. "HELP!"
We all stand up immediately.
"You two wait here." Reya says, motioning to Lau and I, then follows Ao'nung into Cayas room.
My heart is breaking as I hear her crying out in pain.
"Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!" I punch my thigh in anger as tears well up in my eyes.
Lau looks over at me pitifully and sighs.
I decide not to listen and run into her room.
"It burns! Do something!" She screams through sobs. Reya is patting her forehead with a damp cloth while Au'nong is holding her hand attempting to comfort her.
"I know it hurts, matsmukit." Reya cries softly.
I hear Lautokx shifting in the doorway.
I look down at her arm and notice she's bleeding through the bandages, I move Reya out of the way and begin taking them off.
"Lau go get a new wet cloth; we have to clean her wound. Reya! The paste! Ao'nung bring the bandages! Hurry!" I shout, directing them.
They all shuffle quickly out of the room and do as they're told.
"Mawey Caya, you're going to be okay my love." I lean down and give her a kiss on her forehead.
She's looking up at me, hyperventilating.
"Neteyam... please! My arm... feels like...AGH... it's being ripped off!" She wails, taking her other hand and squeezes mine, tightly.
I continue taking off the bandages while telling her to take deep breaths. They all rush back into the room giving me the supplies I need while she's looking around frantically, continuing to freak out. I take the wet cloth and begin wiping her blood away and she begins screaming even louder. I look over at Lautokx and nod at him.
He understood and went to Cayas side, taking her hand in his.
I continued cleaning the wound.
"Caya, look at me! At me!" Lau coos at her, while holding her head down and petting her gently.
Her breathing becomes shallower as she's frantically scanning his face. Before I begin to put the paste on her knowing it's going to burn, I look over at him and purse my lips. He looks back at her putting her hand to his lips, giving it small kisses.
"Mawey, mawey..." He whispers as her breathing slows a bit. I take the paste and begin putting it in her wounds and she screams again.
"AGH! NETEYAM!"
"I know love, but I have to do this. You need the medicine." I say calmly looking at her.
She nods and looks back at Lau, her face contorting in pain as I continue what I'm doing. I finally finish and begin bandaging her arm back up. She's finally calmed down for the most part, exhausted from the ordeal and her breathing begins to go back to normal.
"Lau, I need you to lift her up I have to get this bandage around her chest to cover her shoulder." I say, furrowing my brow.
He nods and moves her. As I'm wrapping and having to go underneath her chest piece my hands lightly graze her breasts and I notice Lau has a pained expression even though he's trying to hide it. Caya's watching my face, her mouth creeping into a slight smile as I delicately wrap her. I can feel her warm breath on my neck, it makes me shudder slightly and my own breathing hitches.
"Okay, I'm done." I nod at them both and he proceeds to lay her back down, gently.
I kneel next to her head and begin to wipe the sweat off her face as she's looking up into my eyes, longingly.
"What is going on here?" Ronal asks, eyes squinted. Looking at all of us. Tonowari, standing right behind her with wide eyes.
"Masanok, her wounds they were bleeding greatly." Ao'nung pipes up, walking over to his mother.
"We could hear screams throughout the village." Tonowari says pushing through everyone and walks up to the foot of Cayas bed.
"Are you okay, my sweet girl?" He looks down at her.
Caya nods. "Yes masempul, Neteyam took care of me." Then she looks around and smiles. "They all did."
Ronal walks closer and inspects my work. She looks at me and nods. "Thank you, Neteyam."
"I shall go make some tea to help her sleep." Ronal says walking out, taking Tonowari with her.
Cayas siblings follow, leaving Lau and I alone with her. We both stand there staring at her.
Her mother comes back in with the tea, feeds it to her and leaves again. We continued sitting next to her on either side and waited for her to fall asleep. Once she was finally peaceful we each make our way out of the room. Lau says goodnight to the family and makes his way outside.
I also began to say my goodbyes when Tonowari cut me off.
"Thank you for being here for her." He says, putting his hands on my shoulders.
I nod respectfully. "Always will, sir."
I make my way out and notice Lau waiting outside.
"We need to talk." He says calmly.
"Okay." I respond, walking towards him.
"You really do love her, don't you?" He whispers, pained.
"Yes. But... so do you." I sigh. "What do we do?"
"We both court Caya and let her decide. What other choice do we have? Neither of us are going to stop until we have her." He responds dismally, looking at me intently.
I nod, agreeing.
We begin to walk our separate ways. "Neteyam." I turn to face him.
"I never want to see her hurt again. Do you understand?" He furrows his brow and squints at me, displeased.
I sigh "Neither do I."
He turns around and heads home and I do the same.