Chapter 11: Without Everyone

I sat on the grassy cliff overseeing the city. The people looked happy and were working on rebuilding their city. I'm glad everything has worked out, but I still can't help feeling regret for what happened...well more like what didn't happen.

"Is this seat taken?" a voice says from behind me. I turn my head to see my pink haired childhood bestfriend, "Are you safe enough to be around? I don't want my clothes melting off." I joked. "Oh shut up!" Natsu smiled at me and sat by at my side, "I apologized to Lucy for that, and besides Wendy healed her up. Trust me, she's good as new."

"Now how would you know that, Natsu?" I smirked at him. "N-None of your business." he said with a blush.

We both sat in silence for a few minutes until he spoke up, "I know what's been on your mind." "Oh yeah? Please enlighten me."

'Knowing him he probably thinks I'm hungry'

"You're regretful..."

'Oh shit.'

"You feel like you weren't good enough because of what happened." he looked at me expectantly and i give in and nod. He continues, "I don't know why. If anyone should be feeling regret it's me. You managed to do 80 percent of the work-"

"Ehh, more like 99..." "85" "90 and you know it!" I point at him. He rolls his eyes, "90 percent of the work", he corrected, "and I alone still wasn't enough. I had to eat that bastard's stupid flames just to do some damage." Natsu looked down in thought.

"You know what I think..." I nudged his shoulder. "What?" "I think we're both being too hard on ourselves. After everything that's happened, there's only two things we know for sure. One, we both surpassed our limits and got stronger with this fight. This is a victory for Fairy Tail!" Natsu smiled, "Yeah, it is!" "And two...I basically defeated Mercphobia so that makes us 1 to 0."

He glared at me, "No way!" "Yes way! Ask anyone else. It's only fair that I get this point!"

"Ugh fine, if you're so desperate for it then I'll give it to you!" He rolled his eyes again.

We've always been competitive ever since we were kids. He was the first dragonslayer I met and I was his, so it was only natural we competed again and again, over and over. The battle with Acnologia was epic, though I can admit, it was Natsu who finished him off. He admitted himself it was all of our strengths and refuses to single anyone out. So the Five Dragon Gods is our final shot at deciding who's the stronger dragon slayer. Plus it's fun.

"But I promise you, if the next one is evil, I'll be the one to take him out." "Sure Natsu," I sigh, "you know what else has been bugging me though?"

"What now?" He leaned back and cushioned his arms behind his head.

"When I ate Mercphobia's water...I did black out for a sec, but then I was okay. I still had my sanity and was still in the right state of mind..."

"Yeah so?" "But when you ate those...demonic flames," Natsu raised his eyebrow at my choice of words, "you were like a completely different person." Natsu looked away.

"And I'm not talking about physically, although your eyes did look closed off and you did look different."

"Your aura was...darker. And you looked like you lost yourself for a sec. I just don't get what could've been the difference between us."

Natsu gathered up his thoughts before sitting up and facing me. "Look, if I'm being honest. I did lose myself for a sec. I don't even remember what happened after I ate that fire. But I don't think it'll ever happen again." he reassured. "How can you say that so confidently?"