Chapter Fifteen

Garmadon

Lightning cracked across the sky, filling the ominous clouds with light. There was a thin purple fog sprawled across Ninjago City. Citizens in the street lingered about, each of them with vibrant purple eyes and crystals growing on their bodies. 

Ninja were scattered about the city, each crystallized in a way I hadn't thought possible. Vengestone warriors stood around Borg Tower, protecting something. Two figures stood at the top of the tower, the fog seemed to be coming from the tower, spilling out from behind them. 

From behind the figures, my son stood, a particularly evil smile on his face. In the street below lay a shattered pot, its plant shriveling up in the fog.

My eyes shot open. It was one thing to show me visions and nightmares of my son, but a whole other thing to mess with Christifern. 

I sat up on the couch I'd been using as a bed. I glanced at the clock sitting on the coffee table. 5:30- great. 

I hauled myself up from the couch, man would four arms help right now. But four arms was the old me. Now I'm dual armed and learning to not kill everything I come across, which is why not even my dreams can hurt my Christafern. 

I grabbed the spray bottle and gave him a little spritz of water. My plant was large, green, and teeming with life. No one could ever harm him- i'd kill em' if they did. And Vinny of NGTV News wouldn't have to know. 

I sighed and set the spray bottle back on the table. I had half a heart to go back to bed, but I knew even if I managed to sleep again, I would plunge into another nightmare. I wasn't in the mood to see anyone important to me die again.

 I've been having nightmares for a while now, each one making me hate the Crystal King more and more. How dare he kill what matters most to me? Even if it is a dream.

I sat back on the couch and thought about my recent nightmares. The more power the overlord has, the more my nightmares plagued me. I had seen multiple people die in these nightmares of mine. 

I could only hope they weren't visions. Christofern, Lloyd, Harumi- in every one of my nightmares, at least one of them had died. At first I was reasonable, Harumi had died in the building collapse. 

But I knew better than anyone that death was not permanent. Death could trap you in the departed realm, only to escape years later. If Harumi died- there was no guarantee she would stay dead. Why did death have to be so strange- for the best of people, it's the end... for the worst, it's a setback. 

I used to think of death as nothing more than a delay, like a video game. I felt a pit open in my stomach as I was reminded of the days I killed people for no reason other than a minor inconvenience they caused me. Sometimes, I'd kill just because I felt like it. But I'm a new Oni now, a better one with a place in society.

"Garmadon?"

The voice shook me from my thoughts, it was Vinny of NGTV News.

"It's 6:00, what are you doing?" I questioned.

Vinny eyed me, "I could ask you the same thing" He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair, "Look, I've been called into work for a special, something about the girl who runs Chen's Noodle House"

Chen- I knew him. His daughter (Skylor?) was an Elemental Master of... amber right? What happened to her? I knew Skylor had gone against her father, the same as I had years ago, and it would be bad not to at least worry about what happened to her.

"What happened to her?"

"She was kidnapped by the Crystal King-" He paused, determining whether or not to continue, "I was told she had news about Lloyd."