Chapter Twenty Two

Holy crap- 3k. 3,000 reads on this book. I don't even think it's been a full year! thank you all so much for your support! I know I haven't been posting chapters as often but I'm trying my best to get them out on time. Just know that chapter posting should speed up once testing  finishes at my school. again, big thanks! hope you enjoy this chapter!

Nya

I am forever grateful that I am not scared of heights. Being a ninja, I'm often high up in the sky. For one, the bounty, and for another, dragons.

 We soared above the treetops, going twice the speed than walking. And I was done walking. Thankfully, now that we weren't chasing after Skylor, we could use Kai's elemental dragon. Now I know what you're thinking: why couldn't you just use the dragon while chasing Skylor? 

You see, it's quite difficult to maneuver a large dragon through trees, and it's hard to spot things from above the canopy. Kai's dragon bellowed, a sign that we were almost back to the city. I looked up at the sky, trying to judge what time it was- Seven? Six thirty?

A few minutes later, we flew over the last stretch of trees and Ninjago City came into view. Kai adjusted his grip on the reins and angled his dragon down into the forest of skyscrapers.

 I could hear an alarm, blaring from a nearby building. It took a moment, but I soon realized that it was coming from an apartment building- our apartment building. 

Kai looked back at me, a worried look on his face. There was no visible fire or smoke, but people evacuated to a safe distance from the supposed fire. A crowd of civilians had gathered, panic and worry on their faces. Kai lowered us down and touched down near the crowd. The fire dragon dissipated and we dropped to the ground.

"Keep an eye out for anyone we know." Kai said, started to weave through the crowd.

I nodded and entered the crowd. There were about a hundred people, a lot of them whispering.

"I didn't see any smoke." One said.

"Probably a kid who decided to pull the alarm." Another scoffed.

Usually, I would feel the same way- but something about the situation made me think otherwise. Oh right- it's because we were in the building. We're a big walking target for villains and criminals.

"Nya?" A robotic voice sounded.

I turned and smiled. They were alive.

"Zane!" I sighed, relieved.

Then I noticed Jay. He had a splint on his right leg and was using a crutch to keep himself leaning against Zane, who was helping him stand.

"Jay what did you do?" I asked.

"Nya!" He exclaimed, "You're alive!"
He shifted away from Zane and started towards me. I panicked and rushed forward, helping him stand in place. I adjusted so we faced Zane.

"What did he do?"

"I have no clue." Zane shrugged.

I eyed Jay, who was smiling at me.

"Jay?"

He shook his head and blinked a few times.

"Sorry what?"
"How did you hurt your leg?"

He hesitated. Finding the right words.

"I kinda got into scuff."

"A scuff?"

He nodded and Zane looked as if he knew what Jay was talking about.

"It's like a fight but on a smaller scale- " Zane said."like how a disagreement is different than an argument."