Part 24

"-and that's how we make the c-"

"Shut up!" You raced around the corner, ducking behind the prep table. Spray paint still on your shirt.

"Wha-" Tony jerked back, exchanged a look with Kriss.

Travis was just across the way, grill sizzling with temporarily forgotten food.

"B-" you glared at Kriss, holding a finger to your lips.

The door chime rang, causing you to shrink further down and freeze. You watched Tony and Kriss snap their heads up. You hated the smirk that stretched across Kriss' face. The way their arms crossed over their apron. The way they shot a smug face your way before turning back to the mutant who strode through the door.

Tony, bless him, looked so confused. His gaze darting between you, Mikey, and Kriss. You closed your eyes, falling back. Praying.

Please don't let Mikey come back here. Please don't-

"Oi!"

Your eyes snapped open. You glared up at your fucking employee, who was waving and hollering at Mikey. Fruitlessly you started waving at them.

No. Head shook, hands motioned. No. Stop.

But Kriss was a fucking asshole, and damned Tony admired them for some reason you couldn't fathom.

The little shit walked to the serving window. Shot a quick look back, exchanging a nod and smile with Kriss before turning back to the approaching mutant. You peeked between stacked bowls and storage tubs. Mikey looked confused.

"Hey." He leaned over the register counter, much to Courtney's disapproval. "You're new."

"Yep." Tony's natural smart ass coming through as he popped a gum bubble. "Whaddya want here, Chief?"

"What he means!" Kriss fell in beside the kid, arm looped over his shoulders, "is what brings you here. He's new."

"Well nice to meet you new kid." Mikey beamed.

"Can't say the same." His head cocked, popping his gum again. "Whaddya want, turtle boy?"

You glanced, heart racing. Kriss and Tony's bodies blocked the view to the stairs. You felt your heart racing as you judged the distance. Maybe ten seconds of crawling. The stairwell in the shadows. You'd be safe after the third step.

Probably.

You closed your eyes, braced yourself. Started crawling, hand and knee shuffle.

"Oh!" You heard Tony's voice pitch up suspiciously. "You mean the boss?"

Your heart lept in your throat. Please. Hand scoot forward. Then your knee. Please please please-

"Oh sure." Kriss joined in. Your blood froze.

You were so close. So close.

"Our boss is right there." You heard feet shuffled.

Horror flooded you. You knew you'd been exposed. You could feel it. Mind racing you sat back slowly, holding up an invisible nothing pinched between your fingers.

"Good news guys!" Your grin was weak, your victory declaration feeble. "I found it?"

Tony snorted, rolling his eyes. Travis was in tears.

"Found what?" Kriss scoffed. "Your dignity?"

"You." Mikey's expression darkened as he cleared the counter with minimal effort.

"Goddamn." Tony gasped, shoulders squaring as he moved to block Mikey.

That touched you. This kid, not done growing, moved to protect you from the mountain of muscle pushing through the swinging doors.