Part 28

You watched Mikey's face scrunch with concentration as he poured the milk, carefully adding it to the batter. Large fingers grabbed the whisk delicately before hesitating. Turning to you. Blue eyes wide in wordless question.

You bit your grin, hiding it behind pursed lips and nodding.

A little tension left the mutant's shoulders as his hand started stirring the liquid mixture. You winced as the metal whisk hit the edges of the glass bowl a little too hard. A little too fast. But it wouldn't do any real damage, so you ignored it.

Kriss paused, peering over your shoulder, plates balanced in their arms. You tsked, shoving them. Ignoring their little wink and mocking kisses as they moved past, setting plates on the serving window.

"Table Three!" They shouted.

"Okay!" Whisking stopped, Mikey's hands clapped as he dusted his palms off, fingers twisted in the rag tucked into his waistband. "What next?"

"Hmm?" You dragged your glare off Kriss, back to the mixture. "Looks good." You muttered. "Oh!" Mikey's question sinking in. "Right. Your dry mixture now." You pointed to the smaller bowl already pre measured and set aside. "Now," you began as he grabbed it. "You're going to want to add it sl-"

It was almost in slow motion. Almost like you could have stopped the train wreck that happened.

Michelangelo picked up the bowl. Tongue just poking between his lips as he angled his body. Carefully he tilted the bowl, flour and baking soda and sugar and salt sliding down the edge somewhat as you spoke.

With extreme prejudice he curled his fist, a single finger extended. Tapped the edge.

You weren't sure what exactly went wrong.

But the white mess of dust that filled the air gave too good of an explanation. Coughing you blinked, squinted, waving your hand in an attempt to get clean oxygen into your lungs. Your eyes watering.

"What-" you coughed, "the fuck?" You blinked, looking over to the mutant.

His stunned expression, dusted in white, made you freeze. Laughter bubbling up in you. But you refused to react. Until he looked at you. And immediately his face cracked, looking like he'd been dusted in powdered sugar.

You both devolved into uproarious laughter. Tears built in the corners of your eyes as your cheeks began to ache, curling over your stomach as your laughter slowly turned silent.

"Breathe!" Travis snorted, slapping your back, jerking away as you sucked in a breath - sounding something like a suffocating walrus. "The fuck was that?"

You took a look at Mikey, and immediately broke down into tears again, slowly allowing yourself to sit on the floor. Flour sifting around your fingers and legs as you slowly sobered.

"Okay." You inhaled shakily. "Okay."

Mikey tittered, looking down at you. Nodding. "Okay." He snorted, the act threatening to reignite the laughing fit.

You pointed at him violently, "Okay." It shuddered out of you. You were hanging on by a thread.

"S-" Mikey snorted. Cleared his throat. Looked at his fingers as he took a rag from Travis. "So is the cake gunna be oka-" He hummed, falling over the table, eyes squeezed closed, shoulders tensing.

You bit your lips, breathing deeply, fingers steepled. You weren't going to laugh again. You weren't.

"Yes." You spoke carefully, daring to look at Mikey. A laugh spewing out between tightly pressed lips, spraying spit all over his face.