Chapter 23

Natasha went to find Steve in London, where he went to attend Peggy Carter's funeral.

"When I came out of the ice," Steve says, "I thought everyone I had known was gone. Then I found out that she was alive. I was just lucky to have her."

"She had you back, too," Nat coos.

"Who else signed?" Steve asks.

"Tony, Rhodey, Vision, Pietro," May replies.

"Mary?"

"She said she won't do one or the other, because she's enhanced, but she doesn't want to betray Tony because he's like her dad," Nat replies.

Steve looks at her. "Clint?"

"Says he's retired to stay-at-home duty with Clark," Nat replies and she smiles slightly at the thought of Tony taking care of a tiny human.

"Wanda?"

"TBD," Nat replies (to be determined). "I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords while Mary goes to see her fiancée and son. There's plenty of room on the jet."

Steve sighs and he bows his head,

"Just because it's the path of the least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path," Nat says. "Staying together is more important than how we stay together." It's almost as if Nat is convincing herself.

"What are we giving it up to do?" Steve asks and she sighs. He shakes his head, unconvinced. "I'm sorry, Nat. I can't sign it."

"I know."

"Then what are you doing here?" Steve asks.

"I didn't want you to be alone," Natasha replies honestly. She pulls him for a hug. "Come here."
======

Clint leans against the doorway of Clark's room as Mary rocks him with a smile on her face. When Clark starts to cry, bough, it's a wail like a banshee. Clint has to cover his ears but Mary doesn't.

"I have to find Bruce," Mary whispers. "He'll know I'd you have one of my attributes or both."

"I'll track him down," Clint says as he kisses his fiancée on her head. "I love you, Mary Francine."

"I love you, too, Clint Eduardo," Mary coos.

Clint kisses Clark on his head and he goes to see if he can find Bruce. He'll have Bruce come here with a lab kit so he can test Clark. He doesn't want to travel with Clark because he knows that Clark won't be able to control the banshee scream since he's only three months old.

As Mary sings a siren lullaby to her baby boy, Clark Barton stares at who's mommy until his eyes flutter closed. She smiles as she rocks him.