Chapter 27

Traffic rolls around the victory column in Berlin, Germany. A police convoy drives beside the river Spree. Amidst the convoy is a gray armed truck. Inside Bucky wears terrains inside a prison pod. Three armed guards sit on the other suds of the glass-walled pod. A police motorbike stops traffic and a van driver looks affronted. The convoh turns a for rear onto a bright across the river. In an SUV, T'Challa sits in beside in front of Mary, who is beside Steve, who is in front of Sam.

"So, you like cats?" Sam asks.

"Sam," Steve smoker.

"What?" Sam asks. "Dude shows up dressed like a cat and you don't wanna know more?"

"Your suit... it's Vibranium?" Steve quizzes.

T'Challa narrows his eyes as he glances sideways. "The Black Panther has been the protector of Wakanda for generations. A mantle, passed from warrior to warrior. And now, because your friend murdered my father, I also wear the mantle of king. So, I ask you... both as a warrior and a king... how long do you think you can keep your friend," he looks at Mary, "your brother, safe from me?"

Steve and Mary are stony faced as the convoy heads underground.
=====

In a light gray walled bunker, Bucky's pod is carried away by a forklift. Nearby, Steve gets out of the SUV and glances across at Bucky, who doesn't spot him. With Sam, Mary, and T'Achalla, Steve approaches Sharon, who's standing with a diminutive, gray-headed man.

"What's gonna happen to him?" Steve asks.

"Same thing that ought to happen to you," Everett Ross replies. "Psychological evaluation and extradition."

"This is Everett Ross," Sharon says, "Deputy Task Force Commander."

"What about our lawyer?" Steve asks.

"Lawyer." Everett wants to laugh. "They'd funny. See their weapons are placed in lockup. Oh, and we'll write you a receipt."

"I don't have a weapon," Mary says. "You can search me."

She's pulled somewhere private for a strip search.

"I better not look out the window and see somebody flying that," Sam says.

Steve looks back and he catches Bucky's eye as they walk.
======

"Why are they letting you see me?" Bucky asks.

"Because you're family." Mary smiles. "I saw your eyes. You remember me."

Bucky nods. "Durerea veșnică în fundul meu."
(The forever pain in my ass.)

"You have a nephew," Mary says and he deflates some and she sees the evaluator, Zemo, approach. "Can I watch?"

"Yes," Zemo replies and he looks at Bucky, who is still retrained. "Hello, Mr. Barnes. I've been sent by the United Natioms to evaluate you. Do you mind? Your first name is James? I'm not here to judge you. I just earn to ask you a few questions. Do you know where you are, James?" He asks but he gets no answer. "I can't help you if you don't talk to me, James."

"My name is Bucky," he corrects.

He preferred Buck or Bucky when he and Mary were kids, too.

"Tell me, Bucky," Zemo says. "You've seen a great deal, haven't you?"

"I don't want to talk about it," Bucky claims.

"You fear that... if you open your mouth, the horrors might never stop. Don't worry." Zemo gets a message on his screen: 'message inbox: 1'. He touches it. 'Status: package delivered.' "We only have to talk about one," he says to Bucky.

"What the hell is this?" Bucky demands.

"Why don't we discuss your home?" Zemo suggests. "Not Romania. Certainly not Brooklyn. No, I mean your real mom." He removes his glances and he walks toward Bucky and reads from the book by torchlight. "Желание."
(Longing)

Bucky closes his eyes. "No." He snaps his head back.

"Ржавый."
(Rusted)

Zemo nods to some guys who drag Mary away.

"Always and forever, brother!" Mary yells before she's thrown to where Steve and Sam are outside the chamber.

Sam quickly catches Mary. Red lights are flashing around them as Sam gets her over to where she's closer to him and Steve. There are many agents slumped on the floor, all of them out cold. After a cold Bucky throws Steve, Sam and Mary chase after Zemo. Mary heard and understood the Russian Zemo was reading. She isn't surprised that he did this to her brother.
=====

Outside, staff flee the building en masse. Sam and Mary are among the, and they quickly spot something on the ground. Sam picks it up.

"Damn it." He looks around the wide open cord and scowls.
=======

In an abandoned warehouse, Bucky comes to with his metallic left arm clamped in a huge industrial Vice. Steve steers through a gap at a chopper flying overhead. Sam and Mary are over by Bucky. He's leaning against Mary.

"Hey, Cap!" Sam greets.

Steve walks over and joins them. Bucky is against Mary because she's behind him. His arm is in Vice.

"Steve," Bucky speaks his name.

"Which Bucky am I speaking to?" Steve asks.

"Your mom's name was Sarah... and you used yo wear newspapers in your shoes."

"You can't read that in a museum."

Bucky looks at his sister. "It's you and me in this world, always and forever."

"Yeah, Bucky, it is," Mary replies and she moves his hair out of his face.

"Just like that, we're supposed to be cool?" Sam asks. He understands Mary, Bucky's her brother.

"What did I do?" Bucky asks.

"Enough," Steve replies.

"Oh, God. I knew this would happen," Bucky says. "Everything HYDRA put inside me is still there. All he had to do was say those g**damn words." He looks at Mary. "I got you out before they could do it to you."

Mary nods her head. "Who was he, Bucky?" She asks.

"I don't know," Bucky replies.

"People are dead," Steve says. "The bombing, the setup. The doctor did all that just to get 10 minutes with you. I need you to do better than 'I don't know'."

"He wanted to know about Siberia," Bucky claims. "Where I was kept. He wanted to know exactly where I was kept before I saved Mary and where I was sent back to after. He wanted to know exactly where."

"Why would he need to know that?" Steve asks.

"Because I'm not the only Winter Soldier," Bucky replies. He tells the, about what happened back in 1991.

"Who were they?" Steve asks.

"Their most elite death squad," Bucky replies. "More kills than in HYDRA history. And that was before the serum."

"They all turn out like you?" Sam asks.

Bucky shakes his head. "Worse."

"Could the doctor control them?" Mary asks her brother.

"Enough," Bucky replies.

"Said he wanted to see an empire call," Steve recounts.

"With these guys, he could do it," Bucky replies. "They speak 30 languages, can hide in plain sight, infiltrate, assassinate, destabilize. They can take a whole country down in one night. You'd never see them coming." He looks at Mary. "I remember you mentioning a nephew..."

"Maybe you can meet him one day when it's safe to," Mary says.

Bucky nods. He accepts that answer. He uses his good hand to grab her hand that's on his chest as she holds her brother. He holds his sister's hand.