Chapter 24

Mary is watching the world news while Clark sleeps in his bassinet. The signing is in Vienna and they have it on tv. The UN is there, Nat, some of the others, T'Challa, and King T'Chaka.

"At a special United Nations conference, 117 countries have come together to ratify the Sokovia Accords," News Anchor 3 says.

Soon, it's time for the assembly to begin. Mary smiles at Laura as she walks in and sits on the couch. Henry is at home with Elijah and Katie and Clint is in the basement, trying to find a way to get Bruce here. He found him. It's just getting him here.

"You're not signing?"

"I'm enhanced," Mary says. "The government wants to control us. But I do think the Accords are a good idea. But I'm enhanced, I won't sign it."

"Understood," Laura admits.

They watch as they walk on screen.

"When stolen, Wakandan vibranium was used to make a terrible weapon," King T'Chaka says on screen, "we in Wakanda were forced to question our legacy. Those men and women killed in Nigeria, were part of a goodwill mission from a country too long in the shadows. We will not, however, let misfortune drive us back. We will fight to improve the world we wish to join. I am grateful to the Avengers for supporting this initiative. Wakanda is proud to extend its hand in peace."

T'Challa notices something outside. "EVERYBODY GET DOWN!"

Mary jumps up an enormous explosion goes off and destroys the conference hall.

"Oh, my God." Mary stares. "CLINT!" She yells and he comes running up, almost tripping over stairs. She calms Clark down when he wakes up and she feeds him.

"A bomb hidden in a news van ripped through the UN building in Vienna," News Reporter 4 says. "More that seventh people have been injured. At least twelve are dead, including Wakanda's King T'Chaka. Officials have released a video of a suspect who they have identified as James Buchanan Barnes, The Winter Soldier."

"Oh, crap!" Mary gasps.

"The infamous HYDRA agent, linked to numerous acts of terrorism and assassinations."

"Back to work you go?"

"James Buchanan Barnes is my older brother, Clint, I'm -"

"I know," Clint says. "Bruce is on his way. He'll look over Clark and see about the attributes."

Mary calls Steve.

"I'm in my way to you, Mary," Steve says. She might not remember the time before she was frozen but he does. He always liked Mary, but he had chosen Peggy.

"I'll be outside."

Mary touches something in her wrist, Clint and Laura watches as the suit wraps around her. She kisses Clark on the head, Clint on the lips, and she hugs Laura. 

"Looks like my brother is pulling me away from family time," Mary says.

"He's your family, too," Clint says. "Go."

Mary runs out and when Steve comes, she leaves with him.