3 - it's not just pretend

SUMMARY: As someone from college is trying to ask you out, Derek is the only way to get your point across.

WARNINGS: none, just some cute fluff

***

You were very familiar with your relationship with Derek and knew that it was strictly friendship. That, of course, was the cover-up for your massive crush on him. You had been friends with him for a while but kept your feelings for him strictly hidden. Even from the others in the group. And while you had continued to crush on him, no one at college knew anything about that. They had only seen him pick you up and drive you to classes from time to time.

Just like that one day.

The spring air had blossomed and the sun was beaming down your face as you walked out of the building. Your pace was quick and your feet moved swiftly down the staircase, your right hand sliding down the metal rail that was warm. You could practically hear him following you.

''Hey, uh-'' Nate's voice called your name from behind.

''Sorry, Nate, I've, uh-'' you replied, still moving forward and walking downstairs.

Your eyes looked up at the road and your eyes instantly landed on the one thing you hoped to see - Derek's black Camaro.

''I've got to rush,'' you explained, quickly turning your head to the right, as you saw that your coursemate had caught up with you.

''Home? Work? Wait- you don't work,'' he grinned and you laughed nervously.

Even though he would often flirt with you, Nate never made you feel anything. Nothing in your eyes could compare to Derek.

Normally, Derek would have driven off after you had stepped in, but that day, for some unexplainable reason, he was stepping out of the car, sunglasses still on his face. You knew he heard the two of you talk. Was he jealous? Derek sometimes showed some jealousy when you talked about Nate and that he would flirt with you.

There was no time to think. You had to make sure Nate understood your message. You didn't think twice.

''Okay, see you tomorrow!'' you waved goodbye to Nate after giving him a split second of a glance, and walked over to the left side of the car where Derek was standing.

Without a doubt of confidence, you moved upwards to Derek's face and wrapped your right hand around his neck, kissing him passionately. You could feel your cheeks start to burn, but not because of embarrassment. Kissing Derek was nothing close to what you had imagined. His strong arm instantly hugged your waist, his hand holding your back and fingers slightly squeezing your skin. You could have remained in that moment forever. But it had to seem natural.

You pulled away and smiled up at him, meeting his expression. Although he had a small smile on his face, you knew from his eyes that he was puzzled.

''Hey, babe,'' you exclaimed happily, giving him your bag and walking back to the passenger seat side of the car.

You didn't spare Nate or the rest of the people around a glance and hopped inside the car. A few seconds later, the driver's door opened and Derek sat next to you, closing the door behind himself.

He put his hands on the steering wheel, his eyes following Nate for a moment, and he watched him until he disappeared inside his own vehicle. Then, Derek turned his head to you.

''You want to explain?'' he simply asked.

''I think you got it,'' you replied, turning your head to him.

Derek's whole body shifted to you, as he placed his hand on your shoulder.

''Babe?'' he questioned.

You blinked three times, your mouth curled into an awkward smile.

''He was trying to ask me out!'' you softly said and grinned. ''Again!''

''So you used me to pretend that I'm your boyfriend?'' Derek clicked his tongue but kept his eyes on you.

You couldn't lie anymore. Lying to a werewolf was impossible.

''Yes, I did,'' you shrugged. ''Is that a crime?''

''No,'' Derek replied, his body moving away from you, as he set both hands on the steering wheel. You read his expression and if not mistaken, he looked slightly disappointed by your lack of further comments. Stiles, Isaac, or Theo would have made jokes, and teased you, but Derek wasn't like that.

You sighed, resting your hand against the window and leaning your head against it. You couldn't look at Derek now, feeling as if you could start blushing any second.

''Unless that kiss didn't mean anything to you...'' Derek quietly continued after the short silence.

He began driving and you suddenly felt like the car was too hot, your clothes were too thick, and you felt as if you had begun sweating. You wiped your forehead to find that to be false.

''Did-'' you began, sparing him a quick look. ''Do you want it to mean something?''

''I'd be lying to say that I didn't like it,'' he turned to you for a few seconds and your eyes met again.

You couldn't believe Derek was saying that.

''Well, I felt something... something I've wanted to feel for a while,'' you confessed.

Silence followed.

Silence you wished would end sooner.

Derek stopped the car.

He took a long breath and his body was facing yours again.

''I feel something for you every time I see you,'' he spoke in a calm manner. His hazel eyes were fixated on you. You could tell that this was something serious. You rarely saw Derek speak like this. You could count those times on one hand's fingers. ''I feel an incredible rush every time you look at me and... I feel it every time I think of you too.''

Your lips tightened, forming into a smile. Derek looked truly happy, seeing your reaction. You licked your lips before speaking.

''I truly wish I had done something like that sooner then,'' you spoke while looking at him with a bright smile. ''You've been driving me nuts, Derek.''

Finally, Derek wore a grin on his face.

''At least Nate's off your back,'' he added. ''That's been bothering me for a while now too.''

You laughed and unfastened your seatbelt, leaning in with your whole body to wrap your arms around Derek like before, but much wilder, and met with a sweet and long-awaited kiss.