22 - he just didn't want to be alone

SUMMARY: Uncharacteristic of him, Derek comes to your house at night. A little studying together brings the two of you closer. Is this a good time to tell him how you feel?

WARNINGS: none, just fluff

***

The night hung heavy with a silence that only the outskirts of Beacon Hills could provide. A soft autumn breeze rustled the leaves as you sat at your desk, drowning in the glow of the lamplight and your laptop, and textbooks sprawled across the surface. The rhythmic ticking of the clock was your only companion as you delved into the world of academia.

November during school was the worst in a way. The teachers gave their everything in terms of assignments and tests, constantly reminding you that finals were coming up. Besides, the gloomy weather didn't help.

A faint sound caught your attention, something unusual that made your ears perk. You furrowed your eyebrows and stretched your neck to look at your window. You stood up to look below. You would lie if you said that a shiver didn't skate down your spine. Yet, you sighed with relief.

''Derek?'' you uttered with a mix of concern and surprise in your voice.

Even from above in the dim light, you could recognise his figure and the fact that something was off.

You opened your window and peeked through.

''Hey!'' you whispered and looked down.

''Hi,'' he simply responded in a low grunt.

A visible confusion graced your face.

''Are you okay?" you questioned. ''You're... hurt?''

Derek didn't respond and let his piercing blue eyes meet yours and explain everything by themselves. Your chest heaved as you decided and gave him a nod.

''Come in-'' you whispered, hoping that the jump on the second floor wouldn't wake your parents below.

Derek merely responded in a nod and you stepped back, only waiting for the figure to appear in front of you. Meanwhile, about a thousand questions raced through your mind, each vying for attention, but the weariness etched on Derek's face silenced your curiosity. He turned to close the window, as enough cold air had been welcomed to the room. There was an unspoken understanding between you and Derek – you knew he was a werewolf, and he guarded the details of his nightly activities. He had told you before - it was to protect you.

Remaining silent, you gestured towards the chair with your hand. Derek avoided your gaze, but you saw the tiredness in his eyes.

''Are you okay?'' you asked, hoping that your voice sounded less curious but gentler.

''Yeah,'' he replied, nodding.

''Did something happen?''

''No...''

''Were you in a fight?''

''Yeah,''

You sighed again and knew that interviewing him was no use. It wasn't the first time Derek had gotten into a nightly fight. However, it was the first time he had come to your house by himself.

You, yet again, would be lying if you said that this private meeting didn't make you nervous. Derek and you were in a strange place. Sometimes, you felt that he was protecting you from everything, having said so himself, yet he was so distant and cold. It didn't help really. Nothing helps when you like someone as much as you liked Derek.

''I already healed, I'm okay,'' Derek stated, breaking the silence, as you rested against your bedroom wall.

''Okay. That's good,'' you replied and nodded, giving him a brief smile.