Book 2: Prologue

Prologue

Lauren Armbrose's POV

How am I sweating in Antartica?  It doesn't make any sense.  I'm freezing, yet there's sweat across my face and back.  At least I can ice my aching arms whenever I feel like it.  Except for the fact I can't let go of this glacier.

"Ava, can you see the top yet?" I asked.  Climbing the glacier wasn't the ideal way to get to the spot, but it was the only safe way for miles.

"No," she responded.  "And are you even doing anything?  It feels like you are getting heavier."

"You wanted to be on top, and this rope holding me to you is the only thing besides my hands that's keeping me from falling."

"Then why is it getting heavier?"

"I'm still climbing.  Maybe you're getting tired."

"I don't get tired," Ava responded.  I didn't bother responding.

The view was beautiful, I had to say.  The ice chunks and the penguins and the only sign of civilization was a research center in the distance.  But we weren't here for the view.  We were here on a mission.

Then a drop of sweat fell into my eye. "One minute, Ava.  I have to fix my goggles."

"Ok," she said.

I stuck my tipped shoes into the glacier and held on with one hand while I took of my goggles with the other.  I then wiped the sweat out of my eyes.

Then something started tearing.

"Ava, is the rope secure?"

"Lauren.  Lauren it's tearing!"  I put my goggles and glove back on and climbed as close to Ava as I could.

"Where's the other rope?" I asked.

"I think it's in the bag."  I reached into the bag, but I couldn't find anything in the bottom since the tracker was on top.  I pulled the tracker out.

"Here, give that to me," Ava said.

I reached up to give it to her, then the rope snapped completely.  I was holding on only by my one hand.

"Ava!"  I dropped the tracker so I could grab on with both my hands.

"Lauren!  You just dropped the tracker!  How are we supposed to find it now?"

"Grab my hand and help me up!"

"But the tracker-"

"Ava!  Help!"