Chapter 14: Maddie

Chapter 14: Maddie

Everyone was busy doing stuff, except me. I saw June and Biz doing something in one of the training centers, but I didn't really feel like joining them. I went to the cafeteria to get some food instead.

I saw Nattie's friend, Gabby, sitting by herself at one of the back tables. I grabbed a plate of pasta and a muffin and walked over. "Hey," I said, "Mind if I join you?"

She moved her stack of books to the side and I sat down across from her. "You're Maddie, right?"

I nodded. I figured she would eventually ask about my arm and face, so I wasn't surprised when she said, "Sorry, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but can I ask you something?"

I braced myself. "Sure."

"What's going on?"

That surprised me. "Oh! Did no one tell you?"

She shook her head. "I'm not told a lot of stuff."

"I don't know why they wouldn't tell you. What clearance are you?"

"2, I think."

"2? Really? Oh, that explains it. You aren't high at all."

"What are you?"

"I'm a 5, which is pretty high."

"What's everyone else?"

"May and Liz are both 7, Nattie's a 9, June and Biz are 5s. Zach and April are both..." then I stopped. "Sorry, I'm just not sure if I should be telling you all this."

Gabby smiled sadly. "Yeah, that's what pretty much everyone has been telling me. How do I move up?"

"Missions, completing training stuff, stuff like that."

She nodded. "Ok. Do you think you could show me around a bit more? I still don't know where a lot of stuff is."

I finished my food and stood up. "Yeah, sure!"

I took her on a brief tour of the entire building, or at least the areas that we were allowed to go in. Training Centers, Control, offices, mall floor, dorms, hanger, emergency exits and then we finished at my room.

"So that's pretty much it."

She nodded. "That was a lot to take in."

"If you need any help just let me know!" I said.

Gabby smiled. "Can I ask you about your arm?"

I waved my hand. "Just a failed mission, nothing really exciting."

"Does it hurt?"

"Not anymore."

There was a pause as I opened my door and walked in with Gabby. "It must be so hard to be a spy with that. You must be a lot better than a clearance 5."

I smiled. Gabby wasn't that bad.