Chapter 3: May

Chapter 3: May

We were all back in training, a week after the escape of Ava/failed track down/almost death of all of us, so it was tense.

Janey and April were practically killing themselves training so hard, each blamed themselves for what happened.

Something was going on between Zach and Nattie, something more so than usual.

And I don't even know what was going on with me.  I should've known it was a trap, but we didn't have a choice but to go after Ava.  I just needed to know how she escaped, I could feel that there was something under my nose, and I just couldn't put my finger on it.

The door opened, and Gabby walked in.  "Is everyone ok?" she asked.  She was Nattie's friend, so I had to be nice to her, but I didn't really have an opinion on her, she was just there.  Existing.  It wouldn't make a difference in my life if she existed or not.

"We're all ok," Nattie said.

"Of course we're ok now, it happened a week ago," April said.  I was indifferent about Gabby, April clearly hated her for some reason.  April just hates people sometimes.

"That's good," Gabby said, ignoring April's statement.  "So what exactly happened?"

"You don't have clearance," April said.

"What?"

"It's true," Janey added.  "You aren't a high enough level to know."

"Nattie?!"

"I can't do anything," Nattie shrugged.

Gabby turned on her heal and walked out.

"Jeez," Zach said.  "She's annoying."

April nodded.

"Stop it guys.  It's not her fault she doesn't know anyone here," Nattie said.

"You didn't and you fit in just fine.  But she's annoying," April added.

"Anyway!" Janey interjected.  "Let's get to training."

Today was stations.  I went over to the memory test station first.  That was easy, since I have a photographic memory.  April went after me, and I stayed to watch her.

After a few tries, she still hadn't gotten it.  "Stupid thing," April said as she walked away.

"April, you have to pass it.  You have to keep working at it and you know it," I said.

"Shut up, May.  You don't get it."

"April, I know.  But you have to work at it."

"SHUT UP!" she yelled.

Everyone got silent and was watching her.  April had her moods sometimes, but she never lost it like this before.  Ever.

"April, are you ok?" Janey asked.

"No!  I'm not!  None of you get it!  You don't get what it's like when you have the dad who's in charge of everything, your mom's dead, your younger sisters are prodigies, and you have to work hundreds of times harder to improve the slightest bit and actually be able to complete the training.  I've never beat this," she motioned to the memory machine.  "And May has the fastest time.  I can't do it.  AND NONE OF YOU GET IT!  At all!"

"April, I'm sure it's not that bad," Nattie said.

She didn't know.

"It is!  You might be new, but we haven't told you everything.  And not everything is all about you."

"I never said that," Nattie said.

"Well guess what!  I don't care!  I can't do this.  I never have and I never will!  I thought I could handle it, but I can't!  On the mission last week, I couldn't read the sign, and if I could've, Janey could've been doing her job and we might've realized it was a trap.  But we didn't because of m stupid disorder!"

"April, lots of people have it.  It's not just you," I said.

"But I'm the only one here that's dyslexic!"

Everyone was quiet.  She had never said it before.  She was always so sensitive about it that no one ever brought it up.

But she did.

She ran out.  I looked at Janey.  She nodded.  I ran out after April.

~~~

So I finished moving over my chapters :) I'm trying to get back to writing this book, but I've been busy with other ones. I finished Beautiful Genius and City Skylines and I started Staying Undercover. Check out @fockeyprincess for more details on these! Vote, comment, fan :)