Chapter 24: Janey

Janey

“She’s moving away even faster,” I said to April as I looked at May’s phone.

“Does she know we’re on her trail?” April asked.

“I have no idea,” I responded.

“What’s that sign say?”

“I have to figure this out, give me a minute.”

“I need to know what the sign says right now before we pass it.”

“Then read it yourself.”

“Janey, please read me the damn sign.”

“Route 18, exit now.”

April swerved to cross two lanes to get to the exit.  I still don’t know why I let her drive.

“Ava stopped.  Her signal is staying still.”

“Did she run out of gas?”

“Maybe.  Drive faster, we might be able to catch her.”  April stepped on the gas and flew down the highway.  “Turn now.”  I told her the rest of the directions and we pulled into a neighborhood.  The street was a dead end, and the end was an A1 car. 

We got out of the car and ran over to the other one, guns drawn.  I opened the door, but no one and nothing was in there except Ava’s phone.  She knew we were tracking her, either that or she left her phone in the car by accident.  I crawled into the car to look for more evidence.  “Keep watch,” I told April.  She mumbled something in reply. 

I couldn’t find anything else, so I stepped out of the car.  Someone grabbed my arm and I dropped my gun.  They tightened their grip on my arm and I flipped him.  He landed on the ground with a thud and a crack.  I ran over to where my gun fell and looked around.  I picked up my gun and scanned the area.  There was the guy on the ground, one coming right at me, one in one of the driveways of a house, three cars pulling in to block the street and two tying up April, who was knocked out.

I was so stupid.  How did I not realize it was a trap?  I had to figure out a way to get April free first, then she could help me.  But even if I shot one of the guys with April, the other still had her.  And there was no time to call for backup, and I made it clear that no one should follow us.

We were screwed.

~~~~~

Short chapter, but I started writing a longer one, but then I had this idea so I went with it, and I wanted to save it as a cliffhanger.  I will be away next weekend, so I will probably update before then, if I have time.  Vote and comment if you want to know what happens next (plus you have that other cliffhanger between Zach and Nattie back at the A1.  I'm full of suspense right now).  I will make more of an effort to update before if you vote and comment.

Also, approaching 200 reads!!