Chapter 9: Nattie

Nattie

I didn't stop running until I found Janey. Her eyes widened as I ran into her office and slammed the door behind me. "Lock it," I said, breathing really heavily.

She pushed a button without asking any questions. I heard a bolt turn and I calmed down a bit. "What is it?" Janey asked as she starting typing on her laptop.

"Someone outside my room. Zach told me to run. No. No, no, no, no, no. Can you check to see if Zach's ok? Oh my gosh I can't believe I left him there."

"Nattie. Calm down. Zach can handle himself. I need to make a phone call, and then I need you to tell me everything you know."

I nodded and as she made her call, I grabbed a soda and sat on her sofa. This was just like when I first came here; before Janey and I knew we were sisters.

Janey hung up her phone and turned to me. "I'm needed for interrogation, sorry. Someone will come up here to get your side. Stay in here. There's guns and other weapons in my closet if you need them. Don't open the door; whoever is coming up will have a key. Listen to them and answer everything honestly. This has happened before and we know what to do."

"Ok."

"You ok?"

"Yeah, I just want to make sure Zach's ok."

"He is. Agent Winters would've told me if he wasn't."

"Thanks."

"For what?"

"Just everything."

"Everything's going to be ok. I would pretty much die if anything happened to you."

"Same. Well, anything after Antarctica."

Janey laughed. "Yeah. I got to go now. See you soon?"

"Yep."

She walked out and locked the door behind her. I grabbed two guns from the closet and slid them into my jacket next to the knives I always have in there. Janey's laptop was still on, and as much as I hated snooping on her, I had to know what was going on.

I sat at her desk and looked through her email. Most of the emails were from Agent Winters about the assignments for the day.

Two emails caught my eye. Both were from May. The subject line for the first one was Lauren Armbrose?? I opened that one.

May,

I keep feeling that I'm missing something. There's got to be a reason I was almost killed on the Antarctica mission. Ava was up to something, but I don't remember any of it. Can you help me?

J.

Janey,

I don't have anything to regain memories. Sorry. I've been doing some research, and there's nothing on your mission. Absolutely nothing. All I know is that it was by our research base.

May

May,

If it was near the base, why did it require two A2 agents to get it?

J

I don't know. We don't have anything on it.

May

I was about to open the next part of the email when I heard the lock to the door turn. I quickly exited the program and leaned back in the chair.