Chapter 23: Nattie

Nattie

I wanted to go with Janey to find Ava, but I couldn't, so I stayed in HQ.  Zach had left to help Matt, Brett and Nick make sure everyone was ok and to search the A1 to make sure Ava wasn't hiding.  May and Michael were doing all this technical stuff, so I sat and watched.

"Isn't there normally some red button that you can push to fix everything?" I asked.

"That's in movies," May said, not looking up from her laptop.  Michael was under the desk doing something with the Wi-Fi router wires.

"Couldn't you just put in another router?  Or connect your laptop to the hotspot on my phone?"

May paused.  "I'm an idiot.  That would work.  I can't believe I took such a complicated approach."  I unlocked my hotspot and May connected.  A few minutes later the lights came back on and so did the Wi-Fi.

"Yes!" Michael said, as he high-fived May and me.  We walked out and Michael went back to wherever he goes during the day, May and I walked back to the dorms.

"By the way," May said, "happy early birthday."  Then she walked away.

Oh my gosh I forgot my birthday.  It was in less than a week, and May bothered to find out and remember.  I guess she found that out when she stalked me online.  I was actually glad someone knew.  I didn't want her to make a big deal of it, but I kinda did at the same time.  I stopped in the cafeteria and grabbed a plate of French fries.  That was my favorite food from the cafeteria.  Some of the other stuff was really good too, and some wasn't.  I walked back to my dorm and as the elevator opened to the floor that my dorm was on, Zach was standing on the other side.

"Going to your room?" he asked.

"Yeah," I replied, beginning to step off.  "I have your jacket, if you want it back."

"I will, but not now."

"What?"  He stepped into the elevator, and pulled me inside with him.  He closed the door and began to descend down to one of the Underground floors.  He scanned his fingerprint and the door opened.

"Zach.  What are you doing?"

"Don't go back into your room, not yet anyway."

"Stop giving indirect answers.  I know you know something, saying you knew my dad doesn't tell me anything."

"I'll tell you later."

"What's wrong with now?"

He stopped.  Then he shook his head as the door opened.  I followed him.  He was so annoying, but he always managed to look perfect, from his perfect hair to his clothes and what am I thinking?  Did I really like Zach?  The way he was always sarcastic, yet funny, and never trying, but always doing great.  The way his hair, what is my obsession with his hair?  Focus on something else.  Like his jacket.  Not quite as nice as the one he gave you, oh yeah.  He gave you his jacket.  Does that mean he likes you?  He asked for it back.  But later.  Which means we would see each other later.

What.  Am.  I.  Doing.

His jacket isn't even that cool.  It looks small on him.  But that's because of his nice muscles.  But that jacket has blood on it.

Oh.  My.  Gosh.  Something happened.  That's why I can't go to my room, that's why I'm down here.  That's why Zach's hurt.

I'm an idiot.

"Zach.  What's going on?  You're hurt and-"

"I'm not hurt," he responded curtly.

"But the blood on your jacket-"

"Not my blood."

He was absolutely driving me nuts.  Was a straight answer too much to ask for?  I reached into my jacket a pulled out a small knife. It wasn't big or sharp enough to cause damage, but it would serve its purpose. I threw it at Zach, and it pinned his jacket to the wall.

"What the hell?" he said.

I walked over to him and said, "Are you going tell me what's going on?" 

He sighed. "I'm not supposed to, but since you trapped me..." then he laughed and pulled the knife out of the wall. "But I'll still tell you.  They're doing security sweeps in all the rooms to try to find anything on Ava.  They don't like to have people in the way when they're investigating."

"And the blood?"

"I was helping Maddie get her blood test, since most of tech is busy.  I don't do it very often and a little bit got on me."

I didn't fully believe him, but I didn't have enough time to argue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have had no time, to write.  Sorry.  So I will try to update soon, maybe a week?  I don't know.  Hope you like this chapter.