Prologue

Notice:  I have decided to discontinue this book from this account.  The "real" thing can be found at @fockeyprincess under the same title, but with a different cover.  There are more details and it's edited, other than that, it's the same story.  This story only goes up to Part 2 in Book 2, but the other one will finish out the story.

You can keep reading this if you want, but if you want the full story, I would suggest checking out the other one.  Thanks <3 E

 Prologue:    

  Three years ago...

Natalie Armbrose's POV

 "Come on, Nattie!"  Gabby said running ahead of me as we walked (I walked, she ran) home from school.  We were going to my house for the weekend, and neither of us could focus during school today.  But no one could, 8th graders on Fridays are crazy.

"Joke's on you!  My mom's not home and I have the house keys!" I shouted back.

"Natalie Armbrose!  Hurry up!"

"Gabrielle Welish!  Slow down!"

"I know why you won't run!  I'm faster than you and you don't want to be embarrassed!"

"Not gonna work, Gabby!"

"What?"

"Saying you're better so I run.  I'm not stupid."

"I know you're not, honor roll girl, but it's worth a try."

When we made it home, I went to the kitchen and we made chocolate chip cookies, then we ate them while watching movies.

"We need popcorn," Gabby said.

"You go get it.  It's in the cabinet above the sink, you have to put it in the microwave for two minutes."

"I know how to make popcorn!" she replied.  Gabby walked over to the cabinet and opened it.  Might I add that she was making a lot of noise during my favorite part of the movie?  The beginning where the girl discovers that she is actually related to the royal family of whatever country she lives in, but no one told her for security reasons.  But then she decides to find her family and leaves in the middle of the night without telling anyone.  I love movies where the main character is a girl who doesn't care that boys think they're better, and ends up being tougher and better than the boy will ever be.  "There's no popcorn in here!"

Of course there wasn't.  Now I have to pause the movie and look downstairs for it.  "Ugh.  We have to get more from downstairs."  We walked down to the basement and I looked through the pantry trying to find another bag.  "Have you found any?" I asked Gabby.  "I haven't.  Why do we have a jar of peanut butter?  Mom knows I'm allergic." 

Gabby reached over and picked it up.  As she did the pantry door slid shut and the food shelves retracted into the wall, revealing stairs below.

"Whoa," I said.

"Did you know this was here?"

"No."

"Then come on!" Gabby said, running down.

"Do you know what it is?" I asked.

"No, but we won't find out until we go down."

Sometimes I hate Gabby's logic.

We walked down the stairs, and as we got closer to the bottom, we heard voices.

"Did you open the trapdoor?" someone said.  I grabbed Gabby's arm and opened a door on the side of the staircase.  We went inside and I closed it quietly.  Then I heard footsteps.  "No one's here.  It probably was the girls getting something from the basement."

"When are you going to tell her?" another person asked.  This voice was male.

"I don't know."  Was that my mom talking?  "You know what it's like.  Remember when Tracey died?"

"Yes, it was only a few months ago.  And I kept my kids in the program."

"But it's different.  Lauren and Will both died."

I recognized my dad's name, Will.

I opened the door and Gabby and I snuck to the bottom of the stairs and I peeked around the corner, my mom was talking to some guy.  They were in a room with a ton of computers and weapons.

"Amanda!  It's not different.  You know what the risks are in this business.  You have to tell Nattie at some point."

I stepped into the room and crossed my arms.  "Tell me what, Mom?  And who's Lauren?"

"Sweetie, I have something to tell you."

"Clearly.  There's a secret room in the basement, some guy who I've never seen before is in our house and you said you were gonna be at work today!"

"I am at work.  That's what I have to tell you.  This is March Winters, and we are both spies."

"What?!" Gabby said stepping out.  "You guys are spies?"

"What's Gabby doing down here?" Mom asked me.  "This is bad."  She turned to a computer and began typing and pulling up files.

"Mom!" I cried.  "What is going on?"

"What she said was true," said Mr. Winters.  "But there's so much more behind it."

"March!  Don't tell them anything!" Mom said.

"We knew she would find out eventually!"

"But not Gabby!"

"We'll figure it out.  But for now, girls, we have a lot to tell you," Mr. Winters said.