Chapter 5: May

May

Normally the alarms don’t go off, and normally Zach doesn’t help other people, especially unconscious ones from other agencies.  But both of those happened today.  I, a trained medic and researcher, ran forward to help her as they entered the lobby area.  Zach laid her on a stretcher and I plugged her into one of the portable medical devices.

I looked at her leg, it was infected from being in the woods, but also with SJ-9, which interrupted the connection from the muscles to the brain.  Right now it was just in her thigh, but it was spreading fast.  I got to work as Agents Winters, aka Dad and #1 at the A1, pulled Zach aside and talked to him.  Being the daughter of the guy who’s in charge is awesome, I get to be a high rank in the research department and get special training, but I don’t just have my position because of my dad, I also have the highest IQ at the A1.

I cut off the circulation to her leg, so the poison wouldn’t spread to her stomach and waist, and then I hooked up a tube of painkiller to her leg.  Some of the other agents then wheeled her towards the medical wing as I called Jocelyn.

“What’s up, May?” she said, picking up the phone on the second ring.

“Can you bring a SJ-9 antidote to the medical wing?”

“On it.”  Then she hung up.  Jocelyn is an expert on poisons and antidotes.  Many people don’t suspect much from her because she is drop-dead gorgeous and doesn’t take training seriously.  But when she is on missions or in private training, she is amazing.  Her long, fake nails can be filled with poisons that are injected into people when she stabs them.  I was the one who mastered the design so she wouldn’t be poisoned when she itched herself.

Jocelyn is also very fast when she wants to be; she got to the medical wing before me with the antidote in her hand.   “Here you go.  I take it the rescue mission didn’t go well, if the carrier is poisoned.”

“I don’t know.  Agent Winters took Zach aside when he got back, but I didn’t see any flash drive.”

I filled a syringe with the antidote and injected it into the carrier’s leg.  I didn’t know her name, and I couldn’t ask her if she was unconscious.  Once the antidote was injected, I got to work removing the bullet.  Someone had gotten the carrier connected to all the necessary equipment so she wouldn’t die of blood loss.  As I stuck the tweezers into her leg, Jocelyn gagged behind me and walked out of the medical wing.   It was gross, but it had to be done.  I work in all research fields, medical is my favorite and least favorite at the same time because I get to save agent’s lives, but it’s gross and sometimes I can’t save them.

Once the bullet was out of her leg, I could see the wound much clearer.  It wasn’t as bad as I thought it was.  The bullet missed the bone and didn’t hurt anything vital.  The problem was the poison, but Jocelyn’s antidote should work and have her leg back to normally in seven days at most, it normally doesn’t even take that long.

The door opened suddenly, it was Agent Winters and Zach.

“Is she ok?” Zach asked, there was a sense of concern that I had never heard from him before.